Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   Nassau and St. Thomas ports (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/8720-nassau-st-thomas-ports.html)

Natalie Kay 09-04-2006 09:24 PM

This is our first cruise and we were wondering if there were any suggestions for Nassau and St. Thomas. We don't like doing big group tours.

18andacruiseaddict 09-04-2006 09:30 PM

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">my mom and i dont like those group tours either. so we usually get a map of the place we are stopping in. then we take a cab or bus or even walk to our destination. we shop till we drop and go eat or have a drink in a local place.fun fun fun </span>

JuniorCruiser 09-05-2006 02:39 PM

Well, in Nassau I've heard that "Atlantis - Paradise Island" is fabolous! You can read more about the place here: www.atlantis.com
In RCCL, I think there is a fee to go see this place http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif

Bine 09-06-2006 02:16 AM

Nassau: You can walk to Paradise Island (approx. 40 Minutes from the ship) or take a taxi. There is no fee to go into the Atlantis Hotel. We've been there in Jan. 06. There's also a public beach on Paradise Island.

St. Thomas: Take a taxi to Magens Bay (one of the most beautiful beaches worldwide).

AHOY1969 09-06-2006 03:10 AM

I have been to Nassau many times. Just off the dock is downtown with shops and the straw market is not far if you like to haggle for prices. Paradise Island is a 5.00 round trip tender boat ride which is much better than a cab. It picks up just up from the crew ship docks. Its all very colorful so take your camera. Remember to hold out for your best price on what you buy. Oh be sure to buy rum cakes they make great gifts for friends.

penny3333 09-06-2006 09:57 AM

In St. Thomas, you can take a ferry to St. John and a taxi to Trunk Bay. Trunk Bay is one of the top 10 beaches in the world. The water is warm, calm and crystal clear (as long as there isn't a storm around). They have fresh water showers, lockers, snorkel equipment rental, a couple of shops, and a self-guided snorkel tour about 50 yards from the shore. The beach is white sand, with shade available. Take a camera for some breath-taking pictures to/from Trunk Bay. The ferry is $6/pp and I think the cab fare was around $4.50/pp. There is an entrance fee to Trunk Bay and I think it was $2/pp. Do your shopping on St. Thomas, however, the prices are much better. Paradise Island in Nassau is great, there is a public beach next to the Atlantis that is free. The cab fare is inexpensive to get there, and Atlantis is awesome. The straw market is a fun place to visit as well. Have a great cruise!

DSR 09-08-2006 08:06 AM

My daughter and I just got back from St. Thomas and Nassau.

1. St. Thomas - Magens Bay is great - the cost from ship to Magens Bay was $10.00 a person - $3.00 a person to get into Magens Bay. After leaving Magens Bay we had the taxi driver drop us off downtown - $8.00 a person. This did give us time for some shopping. We did walk back to the ship - It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to walk. (the cost of a taxi from downtown to ship is $4.00 a person) If you walk it gives you time for some great pictures -

2. Nassau - Paradise Island is GREAT - If you take a water taxi the price is $3.00 a person. You are able to take some really nice pictures of Nassau and the Hotels. BUT - - - when the water taxi drops you off - It's a pretty good walk to Paradise Island. (If this is your first time in Nassau - Take the water taxi over - and take a regular taxis back $4.00 a person)
There is no charge for Paradise Island.

My daughter is 15 and really enjoyed Paradise Island. We had a great time at both places - But we love the beach.