Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 07:07 AM

The last post on security was closed, but I had a story that I wanted to share - a very non-aggressive, non-political story

ANYWAY, we have some friends that are cruise junkies (3-6 a year). They cruise so often that on their most recent cruise, they were given, among other things, the penthouse suite with daily gift baskets, and an invitation to an intimate (14 people total) dinner with all the top brass of the ship - which included the captain, the captains wife, and the head of security. After some chatting, they became friends with the head of security.

When our friends cruise, they prefer to only dine in the supper club, and not the normal dining room. The cruise line requires that all passengers be assigned a table in the normal dinning room, and since no two-person tables were available, they were put at an eight-person table. However, their potential table mates were insulted when our friends didn’t show up for the third night in a row – they assumed that our friends had walked into the dinning room, disapproved of their table mates appearance, and therefore choose to eat elsewhere for the duration of the cruise. Apparently, there was an “incident” that took place in the dinning room regarding this, which our friends were informed of by the head of security. Since they had become friends, it was promised that the situation would be “taken care of”.

For the entire rest of the cruise, our friends had a security guard within 10 feet of them at all times – I’m talking black suit, earpiece, CIA type of security. They put velvet ropes around their dinner table. When leaving the theatre, the cleared a path through the crowd so they could leave easily. Our friends have pictures of them sitting pool side with their drinks on lounge chairs, with the security guard in the background, just visible enough.

Ignoring the fact that something like that could be a nuisance after about 10 minutes, how funny is that? If nothing else, it makes for a great story. Apparently, everyone else on the cruise assumed that they were some sort of celebrities or royalty.

Anyone else ever experience, or hear about, anything similar?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:30 AM

Sorry, I thought I was in the general chat section when I posted this. Is an Admin able to move it?

Though this all took place on a caribbean cruise haha.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:31 AM
I've been on cruise ships for three years, also involved in some security work, and I find that story hard to believe, but I wouldn't know anything about that.

Most security guards on the ships are gurkhas from Nepal and most security officers are ex-policemen (or women).

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-09-2007, 07:49 AM

Normally I wouldn't believe it - but this guy has honestly been on so many cruises that the vendors from all the islands know him by name before he even enters the store. It's crazy. He is a people person and likes to make as many friends/connections as possible, and it seems to pay off for him (notice all the gift baskets of cookies, fruit, champagne, etc. he got).

I'll ask him if I can see the pictures, but I still believe him.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
they assumed that our friends had walked into the dinning room, disapproved of their table mates appearance, and therefore choose to eat elsewhere for the duration of the cruise. Apparently, there was an “incident” that took place in the dinning room regarding this
Shots fired, threats made? How insecure and sinister were their table mates that they couldn't handle empty chairs? Kind of far-fetched to me too. Maybe they're yanking your chain, Mike!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 AM
It could have been a "practical joke", like they have dressed up one of the security guards to look like a real "bodyguard"

Old 08-09-2007, 08:04 AM

If the president can sit in an airplane receiving a haircut while holding up air traffic at LAX for two hours, I will believe anything... That is a great story, Mike.
Typically, when people don't show up for dinner at our table they are drunk or getting there fast.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:30 AM

Well, I hope it's true, because it makes for a great story. I still do believe him (mostly because I know how well the cruise lines treat him), but there is the possibility that he made parts of it up.

Also, and only because this recently came up, these people are older than I am (late 40's? early 50's? plenty of time to rack up tons of cruise brownie points). Not sure if that makes the story more believable, but if anyone was under the impression that they were also in their 20's, I don't blame you for being skeptical.

I would also like to know what the "incident" was - it must have been something pretty serious.

Or, more likely, the head of security did it as a favor, thinking that our friends would really appreciate the gesture and see it as excellent service, as opposed to them actually being in some sort of danger.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:40 PM

To: Svein Experienced Cruiser Sorry if I upset you with my question regarding security. It wasn't meant to be inflammatory. I am curious about what in the world you said that had to be repeatedly deleted.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Good evening..
Oh, I hardly remember. I think I (with a tone of humour) asked you what you had been smoking..

The other things that were deleted was of political nature and my less flattering description of the leader of the free world

Don't worry, have a nice evening.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, guardcom, linehead, nepal, norwegian, security, wwwex