Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 08:47 AM

Hi cruisinjan,

We just got back from St. Thomas and went to Sapphire Beach on 10/24. Not a lot to do at Sapphire except lay in the sun, swim, and snorkel. That was OK with us and overall had a good day. They have a bar and there is a restaurant that just openned a week ago. Just a heads up, the restaurant was not very good and it took us over an hour to get our food. Prices were $8 for a hotdog fries, $11 for a burger and fries. I would not eat there again.
There were 4 ships in port that day so everything seem a little crowded. Let me know if you have any questions.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-30-2007, 02:44 PM

At those prices it pays to bring along a sandwich from the ships buffet & just but a soda or beer.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:54 PM

the submarine ride was ok. It was very crowded and has preformed seats. If you don't like confined spaces, don't do this. If you are going shopping, don't go to Venetian Jewelers. They jack their prices up, then when you have them appraised at home, you find out the price you paid is the actual value of the jewelry. Exp., on blue diamonds
Old 10-31-2007, 02:34 PM

Love love LOOOOOOOOVE Coki Beach! We got snorkels and saw the most gorgeous rainbow fish! We waited for what seemed like FOREVER for our food that we ordered from one of the beach side huts, and ended up just leaving, so we never got to try the so called "famous" fish sandwiches. Maybe next time! I know there were about 6 ships when we went. It was PACKED!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:15 PM

WATCH OUT FOR VENETIAN JEWELERS - You Can't Trust Them

This company uses deceptive sales techniques. I purchased a "Sophia Fiori" blue diamond ring for my wife for our tenth anniversary. I was told I would receive an appraisal after the sale. What they gave me was a sheet that listed the price I paid and the size of the diamonds; not a word about clarity/quality of the stones. This is worthless as an appraisal. They told me to get it appraised when I returned home. I took it to a master appraiser and found out that the main blue diamond had a crack across about two-thirds of the face of the stone and that the diamonds were of very low quality. He recommended that we return it. I contacted their customer service and they were rude and uncooperative. I sent it back to the company by registered mail and asked for a complete refund as it was defective and could not be restocked or resolded by any reputable jeweler. They were unresponsive. I had to dispute the charge through American Express and after a couple of months I was given a partial credit and was being charged a $1400. restocking fee. When I disputed the applicability of this fee for a defective product, Venetian lied or at least gave American Express false information. Currently I am still of the hook for $1400. to American Express for the Venetian fee. I will pursue additional methods to try to get this money back.

To sum up - DON'T BUY FROM VENETIAN JEWELERS IN ANY OF THEIR LOCATIONS!

In addition, OnboardMedia, the company that promotes Venetian on Royal Caribbean and Princess was also unresponsive contrary to what they tell you on the ship.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:55 AM

This is exactly the reason my wife buys all her jewelry at home from a reputable dealer in our area. This isn't to say that you can't get deals out of the US but since most people can't recognize the defects & on smaller purchases, unlike yours, most people don't bother to get an appraisal so they get away with a lot. Good luck with getting any satisfaction- it seems like the cruise line will be your best option. Keep us informed.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:24 PM

Wow thanks for all the great advice everyone. I guess you basically have to take your chances at picking a beach and hope that its not too crowded. As for the jewelers, I will watch out for Venetian Jewelers. Thanks for the heads up on that on. I have passed the word along to friends going before me. Thanks again all.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:14 PM

Went to Sapphire recently, 9/07 and the bar and gift shop were shut down but a previous poster above mentioned that they were there in Oct. and that the restaurant and bar were reopened. We brought our own cooler so it wasn't a problem. There are rest rooms and you can rent snorkel gear. Buy a bag of fish food from the rental area to feed the fish, fish will be everywhere! Beautiful beach and not crowded whatsoever. Thank you Penny for reccommending this beach it was beautiful. Never got to Coki, we'll do that one next time. Trunk Bay excursion was still better than Sapphire and that Five Star Champagne Catarmaran Sail and Snorkel excursion to St. John was a tie with Trunk Bay. Have fun, whaterever you do, it'll be great!
Old 12-21-2007, 03:32 PM

When the cruise ship tours hit Coci beach it gets very crowded.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:25 AM

Our most memorable day trip on our last cruise was to Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas. It was recommended to us by a veteran cruiser who claimed it was where locals rather than tourists go. It was exactly what we were looking for. Quiet-beautiful views of St. John-I dont remember any rocks- and best of all NOTHING motorized in the water.(One of my biggest disappointments was all the jetskis w/ their fumes and drivers yelling at us to get out of their way while we were trying to swim in St. Maarten). No crowds- we were there by ourselves for most of the day! We prearranged our pickup with the same taxi person who also gave us a quick but thorough tour of the island. We are going back on a Princess Cruise this January 2008 and are struggling with visiting Sapphire again or seeing another spot.

Closed Thread

Tags
area, buy, cruise, diamonds, feori, fiori, fl, jewelers, maarten, orlando, princess, review, reviews, saint, sophia, st, thomas, venetian