Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2007, 03:34 PM

We plan to go to trunk bay but have read three very differing opinions on how to do this 1. taxi to Red Hook, ferry, taxi. 2. Ferry from Charlotte A., taxi, or 3. Take ship's tour, which will cost about same by the time you are through. Reluctant even if no $$ savings to do ship's tour, we may not be done in 1-1/2 hours. Also wonder if you can swim or is this just a snorkeler's paradise which would make a difference how much time we want to spend. Laurie
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-09-2007, 12:27 PM

If you're comfortable going on your own, it's better to me. That way you can get there, stay as long as you want, and leave when you want. The ferry runs from Red Hook every hour, the schedule from Charolette Amalie is not as frequent, but you don't have to pay for the cab fare to Red Hook which was $11/per person last December when we were there. The beach is perfect for swimming. The snorkeling is about 50 yards off of the beach. They do have lifeguards on duty as well. Be sure to bring your camera not only for pictures at Trunk Bay but on the ride to/from Trunk Bay. Best wishes and have a wonderful time!
Old 02-09-2007, 08:41 PM

Trust me, you'll want to stay more than 1 1/2 hours at Trunk Bay.

Sonny
Old 02-11-2007, 09:35 AM

spoheat,
In my opinion, Option 1 is definitely the best choice for maximizing your time at Trunk Bay.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-11-2007, 01:02 PM

Is there anything to see on the cab ride to Red Hook? Will the C.A. Ferry give us some better views?
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Old 02-12-2007, 12:32 PM

The cab ride to Red Hook will take you through part of St. Thomas. I wouldn't call it great scenery, but it gives you a feel for the island. The ferry from Charolette takes you around the point, again, to me it's nothing special.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:38 PM

Definately plan on going on your own, it sounds like it might be a hassle but it will be soooooooo worth the extra time that you'll have there, thank me later! Oh it's surreal, and yes the swimming, snorkeling and scenery is absolute Heaven on earth! Enjoy! If you chicken out and go with the ship excursion, you will only get 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours and you'll be so upset that it's time to go, believe me, this is NOT enough time in paradise, it's just a tease! This picture was taken last Jan and it was overcast and rainy, can you imagine what it will look like on a nice day????

Here's another picture I took that same day... I photo enhanced this one to make it look brighter, (probably much the way it'll look on a sunny day)...
Old 04-01-2007, 05:32 PM

If your ship is docked at Havensight, it is quicker to take the ferry from Red Hook. We have been to St. John twice and absolutely LOVE it! If you want to save some $$, on your way back just follow the locals off the ferry at Red Hook up to the local $2 bus. (It can look just like the regular taxis.) Ask if they are heading back to the pier area. We did this last time, and plan on taking it BOTH ways a week from today!!! You won't be sorry if you do this trip on your own . . . you can spend as much time there as you want, and you aren't in the midst of a crowd. (We went to Cinnamon and loved it even more.)

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed ** the things that you didn't do than ** the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain

My cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old 04-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Banned

Try to catch the ferry from C.A. The cab rides get expensive. For 2 people all the cab rides to and from the free and the admission totals around 80 bucks. The ferry from CA will cut that down a bit.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:13 AM

We did the cruise ship tour and certainly wished we had done it on our own and could have spent more time; truly a beautiful spot to spend a long afternoon.

Enjoy !!

Peter1

Closed Thread

Tags
bay, bus, cab, cruise, cuise, hook, local, port, red, ship, st, thomas, tour, trunk, trunks