Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 11:15 AM

Hey guys and gals new to the site. Lots of good info here. My wife, kid (7 year old), and I are going on a cruise with carnival on 8/31/06 out of the port of Miami on the imagination. I have quite a few questions. I greatly thank you for all of your help. First off the main thing that we are wanting is some good R&R. What were wanting to get out of the ports of call is the dolphine encounter other than that we just want clean, safe, free (or mostly free, I'm not talking about free addmission) beaches without being bothered by the locals, that has a place to eat, drink, and bathrooms and not getting sick eating and drinking the food. Other than that thats all that we really want out of the ports of call.

#1 When the cruise is over we are staying in Miami for one day and flying out the next day out of Miami airport. We need a place to stay that is close to the port and airport that has a beach within walking distance (preferably a beachfront) anyone know of a hotel that is good and SAFE.

#2 Grand Cayman we are wanting to go to 7 mile beach we are docking at george town. We would like a all incluesive food, drink, and water toys with a bathroom as close to the spot where we get off of the boat at. From what I've read so far on here it is not a good idea to go to the 7 mile beach break that the boat offers at the beach club colony hotel because it is so crowded and they rope off a tiny section of the beach that we have to stay on and the rest of the beach is for hotel guests only. Any one know of a hotel that is all incluesive and any other details that we need to know (We have to be able to talk are 7 year old with us).

#3 Ocho Rios, Jamacia (I think that we are docking at saint ann, kingston, west indes???). From what I've read on here this place scares the hell out of me (espically with our kid with us). We would really like to go to a hotel and have an all incluesive here that keeps the vagrants off of the beach and away from you. I dont mind to pay for food and drink as long as there ant no turds floating in the ocean next to us (I heard that they have raw sewage problems) I am most concerned about safety. As long as the beach is nice and were able to buy food and drink and we are safe Ill be happy. Does anyone know of a hotel that we can buy a one day pass at to use there beach (phone number, address) will they allow kids. Sandels wont allow any kids. We really need help with the Jamaica port of call the most guys and I need all of the help that I can get on this one.

#4 is the dolphnie encounter worth it. How much does it costs. Guys and gals I thank you for your time, help, and patience.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 AM

I can't answer all of your questions, because we've never done an all inclusive. Seven mile beach is beautiful. The last time we were there, they had plenty of room for the ship guests. There were some really tasty drink shacks that had great daquiris and margaritas. You might consider Stingray city as well, you get to swim with the rays there. You didn't say whether your 7 year old swims or not. The first time we went to Ocho Rios we did Dunns River Falls, which was a total blast. The second time we did a catamaran sail/snorkel that was great. The sailing was the best part, the snorkel was good, but we've been on better ones. There have been plenty of posts about all-inclusive resorts in Jamaica on this board. The dolphin swim is much better than the encounter and worth every cent. We did one in Cozumel that was $125/pp. The dolphins are incredible and being able to interact with them was awesome. With the encounter, you don't get to ride them and interact one on one with them. Hope this helps a little. Have a great cruise!
Old 06-14-2006, 11:57 AM

Sorry, I forgot Miami. The port of Miami and the Airport are quite a distance apart and not near a good beach. If you want a nice beach, look for hotels in South Beach. The Miami airport is about 15 miles inland. Best Wishes!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:48 PM

Well I am pretty sure that from what I seen on the web and read here we are more than likely going to go with that Doctors beach for Jamaica and we can also go to margaritavile as well. Now I need to decide on a place to go to in Grand Cayman any ideas folks NO STINGRAYS our kid will FLIP OUT!! We want to go to 7 mile beach thats about all I know for now other than the fact that we dont want to go to that one place the cruise ship herds everyone to and ropes you off a crowded section of beach. So is there a really nice section of 7 mile beach that wont take all that long to get to (name, phone #) do they have that dalphine encounter there? Thanks for the help guys. BTW this site really rocks. I wish I'd had know about this site years ago.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:26 PM

anyone?? About the grand cayman idea. Has anyone been to the beach at margaritiville and doctors beach. Are they nice, clean, you got any pictures.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:20 PM

When you get back to Miami have you considered renting a car? If you can't get a hotel on a beach and do rent a car, I would suggest driving a short distance South of the port area to Crandon Park Beach.
Set on the northern half of Key Biscayne, this three-mile county beach is a popular spot in Miami. An offshore sandbar protects swimmers from heavy surf. Take a swim out to the sandbar and then take a walk enjoying a look back at the beach. Crandon Park is popular with families thanks to its picnic facilities, barbecue pits and volleyball rentals, as well as nearby Crandon Amusement Center.
South Beach is great but there may be too much for a 7 year old to see...
Old 06-17-2006, 03:52 PM

Anyone know of a good spot on grand cayman beach wise to vist? Name, place, things to do, does it have a bathroom, drinks, ect?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:41 AM

Seven mile beach is seven miles. The beaches are public, there are places to buy sodas, drinks, etc. You can catch a van or a cab from the port and they will take you to 7 mile beach. I've not heard of being roped off, you can walk and swim wherever you want. Best wishes!
Old 07-16-2006, 08:36 PM

btt

Closed Thread