Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 04:08 PM
I would also say that Goff's Cay is well worth it.

As for Cozumel I enjoyed the dolphin encounter at Chankanaab Park.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------

Read and post cruise reviews

Past Cruises:
34 and Counting......
Old 06-18-2007, 05:41 PM

Goffs key
my wife cried when we left
Jul.07, March08....
Ecstasy March, 2010
Old 06-19-2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrealovescruising:
I.C., there was a bar there 2 years ago. How long ago were you there?

A'ndrea
Hey A'ndrea, I had to look it up. I was there March 19th, 2002. They had a Tiki shed type thing with snorkel gear and the porto potties. I thought we were talking of the same place. No bar back then. It would have been a Corona moment though

They said at the time was some kind of a local law thing. It was beautiful indeed! Total cost for 2 then was $78.

I.C.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:46 AM
Banned

Dwayne, glad to hear I wasn't losing my mind. When you posted, I thought maybe I had made a mistake and it was a different island.

It's surreal the way Goff's Cay sits out there in the middle of the ocean.

gschon23, I can fully understand why your wife would cry upon leaving. It's not every day you see such incredible beauty.

A'ndrea
Old 06-19-2007, 07:30 AM

Shelby, The reason you hear much about Belize is that is is so far south that many cruise ports can not make it there unless it is a long cruise. Going out of Galveston or Houston, you can get cruises there.

Cave tubing booked through the cruise lines probably will not let your 7 year old go along. But if you book your own tour (and there are several to choose from). You will have no problem getting them to take a 7 year old along. They just need to be able to hike about a mile to the launch point. I recommend Reggie Tours. You can find them on the web. You will get more tubing time through them then the cruise booked tours and they are less expensive. But that can be said for most of the local operators. We took the cave tubing tour and still had time for a walk around town after. Belize offers many great excursions, so you will have to choose what you want to do.

Cozumel has recoverd some from the Hurricane. The reefs are still messed up close to shore, but you can take excursion boats that can take you further out and you can see more fish. But the water is still beautiful there.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 06-19-2007, 10:12 AM

We are taking a 5day out of Ft lauderdale to Cozumel and Belize. I'm really looking forward to it. Our first two we stayed pretty conservative and went to nassau but I think we are ready for something bigger and different. If I want to be sure to see something nature'e like a rain forest/ tropical animals type thing will I see this on the way to ruins anyway.... I'm thinking i'm not going to book something i'm going to be driving through anyway.

Is there a big difference in quality and/or distance to travel to ruins in each city? I love history and I'd love to see authentic historical places. But again only having a day I don't want to waste 4 hours driving somewhere equal to another location close- does that make sense?

( I'm not interested in the touristy stuff, shops, I even wait till I get back to the ship to eat, I want to do something i can't do here in Virginia)

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 06-23-2007, 12:58 PM

In Cozumel, I always recommend the Fury Catamaran. Good snorkeling and instructions, free beer, sodas, and margaritas afterward, then off to their private beach. It's a GREAT excursion for $49/person!

In Belize, we did the Belikin Beer Factory Tour. It must sound like we're a bunch of drunks, but realy we're not! You get a great tour of the town, then a tour of the Beliken brewery, and then all the beer you can drink, with snacks and shrimp...it's really nice.

There are lots of great tours at both ports. Enjoy em!
Old 06-25-2007, 04:59 AM
If you like history the ruins in Cozumel (Tulum) would be a good choice. I did that a while back and enjoyed it.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------

Past Cruises:
34 and Counting......
Old 06-28-2007, 05:30 AM

Goffs Cay is a very good snorkeling site. The island is tiny. When I was there, the tour operator picked us up directly from the ship for the trip. A smaller boat paralleled us to the tiny island carrying the porta-potty that was placed on the small dock. The tour operator had some big coolers that they sold beer and soft drinks out of. There was also someone there trying to sell trinkets and such.

While Tulum is accessible from Cozumel, it is a long tour (7 hours, I believe) and requires a 45 minute ferry ride to and from the mainland. Sometimes is ferry ride can get pretty rough.

Howard

Sensation - 2/2007
Carnival Glory - 10/2006
Carnival Triumph - 7/2006
Fantasy - 1/2006
Inspiration - 10/2004
USS O'Callahan
Old 07-09-2007, 07:17 AM

I just got back from the western Caribbean cruise on the legend. First of all, if you book the excursions yourself, you save 1/2 and it's safe to do just make sure you are scheduled to be back near the port 1 1/2 hours before your ship leaves.
In belize we went cave tubing. It was fun but I didn't expect it to be 40 plus miles inland and you end up putting alot of trust in your driver since you leave your things in the bus or van and are lead into the rain forest by someone else for forty minutes before actually tubing. The tubing was fun but crowded so instead of a lazy float through the caves, you end up bumping other tubers or rocks and watching for them more than watching the scenery. One thing I would have brought would have been a stronger flashlight for use in the caves (water proof) since the ones that were provided were a little weak and we couldn't really see the rock formations that were being pointed out well.
Cave tubing was a "been there done that" event for me and I'm glad I did but I will plan something different if I ever go back. One more thing about belize, The distance from where they anchor the ship to the shore is very far. you can barely see your ship once you take that 35 minute speed boat ride to the shore.

Closed Thread

Tags
beliz, belize, caye, cozumel, cruise, excursion, goffs, idea, ideas, park, port, punta, reviews, snorkeling, sur, year