Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2007, 12:05 PM

Can you get free visitors guides to ports like you can to cities Chambers of Commerces here in the US?

I requested on for my trip to Las Vegas and it has been instumental in planning my trip.

I went to book store and can find nothing in the travel section of Belize ccity and very little on Cozumel- just like a chapter in a big expensive book.

Do they make travel brochures to mail out? We don't leave for over 5 months we would have plenty of time to wait for info.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 06-21-2007, 12:05 PM

Can you get free visitors guides to ports like you can to cities Chambers of Commerces here in the US?

I requested on for my trip to Las Vegas and it has been instumental in planning my trip.

I went to book store and can find nothing in the travel section of Belize ccity and very little on Cozumel- just like a chapter in a big expensive book.

Do they make travel brochures to mail out? We don't leave for over 5 months we would have plenty of time to wait for info.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 06-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Banned

Shelby,
I, personally have never heard of travel brochures for countries.

What I have always found to be a great resource is the local library. Skim through both Fodor's and Frommer's Travel Guide Books. They both put out a new edition every year. Both are similar in the information listed.

Once you decide which book is a "better fit" for your needs, head to the local bookstore and purchase it. I usually highlight (in my purchased book only) anything important or monumental that I need to know regarding a port.

That book becomes our bible while we're vacationing and it is 100% indispensable to us.

A'ndrea
Old 06-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Have you tried the tourism dept for the country?
http://www.travelbelize.org/response.html
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 06-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Banned

Perfect Lyn. Thanks.

A'ndrea
Old 06-22-2007, 02:49 PM

FYI - AAA does have some tour books if you are a member. I know they only have a "down-load" book for Belize as we inquired about a week ago for our location here in Texas. There was some helpful info but not much more than you get by doing the research yourself. The link from Lyn was as helpful (and with color pictures) than the info we got from AAA. Still don't know what we will do there, but sure wish I could find the location with the shopping stalls - give me a bottle of water and some good shopping any day.

Anyone know if they will bargain with you on purchases - Cozumel isn't bargaining very heavy any more since the hurricane.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:32 PM
On the dock there were some handicraft stalls behind the shops...you are still in the fenced area ...I got a hand carved Rosewood bowl for $40. ..it is beautiful
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/lht28/album/576460762392899...94928804269672717/46

Look for Colin
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 06-23-2007, 06:48 AM
Banned

BJC, In Belize City if you walk out of the pier shopping area and to your left and over a small bridge, you will find mom and pop operated shops that sell t-shirts, souvenirs, trinkets and locally made goods.

Our family bought some Belize-logo baseball caps, t-shirts, a Christmas Ornament with Belize handpainted on it, and few other items. We bartered with the locals and they were more than willing to cut us some deals.

It's a poor port and they need the income. I have always found them stingier on the pier than in their downtown area to work a deal.

A'ndrea

Closed Thread

Tags
brochures, cruise