Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2007, 08:49 AM

A ? about beaches in San Juan.
Most of the time when I'm in San Juan it's shopping or sight seeing are there any good beaches for day trippers?

papae
Old 07-30-2007, 08:56 AM

We went to some by the hotels near the Condado area. The locals usually go over to Ponce. I believe Frankenstein Casanova lived in Puerto Rico, so he will probably be able to help. Also, I think Chef Ken lived there as well. I wish I could remember the names of the beaches we went to, but my memory escapes me. It's been too long, sorry.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:43 PM
My memories of Puerto Rico are 30 years old, but I remember Loquillo Beach as being beautiful. Sorry, I don't know how far from town it is. I also did the beach on the Condado - quite nice although crowded with the hotel visitors.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:35 PM

Luquillo is nice, about an hour from San Juan. Dorado beach is about 45 minutes to the west but being a tourist, I recommend going to the Condado. 20 minutes east of San Juan in heavy traffic. It is the strip where hotels are found and is still very much a tourist area.

I would walk into a hotel and head out to their beach. If you are interested in the island culture, you won't really find it there.

Susan, you were there when I was living there. I have been back twice for visits and twice on cruises. I love my little "Island of Enchantment."
Old 08-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Chef Ken - - - maybe we met and didn't know it!! I was with a friend staying with her family in Rio Piedras - with a visit to more family in Ponce. I remember a wonderful restaurant and bar in Old San Juan - I've been trying to get my husband there for years, but the price is pretty steep from the middle of the desert... It's hard to believe it's been 30+ years - the memories are still so vivid. It's a beautiful island.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:50 AM

I used to go there often, more than 30 years ago. My friend's dad owned Out Island Airways and we'd go down for visits, week long and weekends. It was so much fun, except trying to walk on the side walks when the cars were driving on them. Now we just visit for cruises.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:57 AM

Wouldn't that be something if the three of us crossed paths! Rio Piedras was the next urbanization west of us in Caparra Terrace.

I really love to go "out island", and away from the city. You find there a people who are warm, friendly who rejoice when you use some Spanish language. The culture is rich in family traditions and wonderful food. I miss it.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:29 AM

That would be something. I was in my mid teens, 13-16 when we'd go. I loved the pina coladas, even then. We didn't get drunk (that came later), just had a couple. They'd walk up and down the beach with fresh pineapple boats, what a breakfast. Maybe I liked it so much because I wasn't working full-time and could really relax.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:58 AM

There is a bar in San Juan who claims to have made the first Pina Colada. Who really knows these things? I make mine with whole chunks of pineapple, love the texture.

Other San Juan beaches, Goats Island, (isla de cabras) is very close, not far from where the ferry docks in Cantano. You have to watch yourself and your belongings and groups are best.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Well I am from Puerto Rico,
there are a few outside San Juan but
For surfing you have to go to the west part of the island: Rincon, Isabela and Aguadilla are the best for the sport in the island, but they are almost 2 hours from Old San Juan in car so is not an option for a day Cruiser.

Here is a link that maybe can help you in your day at port in San Juan:

http://www.10best.com/San_Juan/Sight...hes/index.html

I hope this help

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, beaches, condado, cruise, juan, names, san