Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2007, 04:51 PM

Heading to MB,Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel in a couple weeks for 25th anniversary cruise. I have a few questions, is it safe to shop at pier in MB or take advice on forum to stay on ship? I want to try snorkeling for first time, wife would rather stay on beach while I snorkel, is Abanks best bet for self excursion on Grand Cayman? what's best taxi stop on Seven Mile Beach for a few hours? Is Chankanaab in Cozumel still in disarray or worth the taxi ride? If I decide to swim with dolphins do you need reservations? What would second choice be for Cozumel attraction? Thanks in advance for advice!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:37 AM
It is safe to shop at the pier in MB. Oh please do go to Sunset Beach Resort. You can snorkle there and your wife can enjoy the beach. It is $40.00 pp. all inclusive of your drinks, food, beach, pool use, water slides and all non motorized water toys. Beach is great, food is great and people are great. It is less than a mile from the ship. You will be able to see the ship from the beach. $2.00pp taxi ride each way and no one will hassle you along the way.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Banned

Chakanaab will not be good for snorkeling...the reef was totally destroyed by hurricane wilma, only thing left is rocks near the beach and one 20' chunk of coral in the middle of a big flat sandy area. paradise beach may be a good alternative they have boats to take you to the reef as well as a nice beach, atvs, horses ect ect.

There is good free snorkeling on grand cayman
near a bar called Hammereads it is very close to one of the tender docks it has a deck with a ladder so my wife could sit and enjoy a rumrunner until i got tired and joined her.
A couple of doors down from the bar is a dive shop where i stashed my dry stuff...i used thier dock to get in and out (they dont mind)
There is a shipwreck out in front of the dock about 80' and a great chunk of reef to the left...the only downside was watching out for the tour boats ,make sure they can see you splashing around when they come in to park, they charge people to come show them the same thing..they dont stay long, but when they are there huge 4' tarpon hide in the shade under thier hulls....saw my first wild lobster in the reef there!
Old 09-05-2007, 09:48 AM

Wise2u has some great advice about snorkeling near where you tender in Grand Cayman, we really enjoyed it. Also, he's been to Cozumel more recently than I have so I'd take his advice on Chankanaab snorkeling. It's still a nice place to spend some beach time and do a swim with the dolphins. There's a great place for snorkeling near Cozumel called Xel-ha, it is gorgeous water. They also have lots of water sports, you can google it and get an idea. SanDee really enjoyed Sunset Beach Resort, and there have been many good reviews. When we went to MB, we took a a tour of an estate, stopped to shop in town, and went to a garden. It was a nice tour, and we did it through the ship. Whatever you do there, be sure you stay with a group. Best wishes and congrats on your 25th!
Old 09-06-2007, 12:49 PM

thanks for all the great info! booked swimming with dolphins, can't wait to snorkel in Grand Cayman! thanks again!

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, chankanaab, cruise, review, sunset