Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 05:48 AM

Hi all. Been too long off. I am going on Celebrity for the first time 2/28/08. We would like to try one of the Dolphin excursions. I noticed there are 3...one is about $100, the 2nd is about $115, and the 3rd is about $145. What is the difference? Which is the best "bang for your buck"? Love to hear from all of you. And again, great to be back!
Old 01-12-2008, 12:36 PM

What port are you in? If Cozumel the dolphin adventures can be booked directly on-line or I booked through Shoretrips.com. These are better products than the cruise ship's. we saw the group from RCCL (our ship)at Discovery Cove--about 22-24 people. Each got to do one thing with these amazing animals. We had 8 in our group, every person got to do each thing the dolphin did once. It was almost surreal--you had so much contact you began to wonder when you were going to get out! Also with fewer people we got shot after shot with our water cameras, although we still bought a picture of each of the kids from the park--they were really nice and the photographers had tried to so hard to get memorable photos.

As to the type of "experience": The more $$ the more contact as a rule. People who paid for an "experience" or "encounter" got very little contact. We paid for the top price cut--the "royal swim" and were on a platform first the dolphins coming up to us, and then in the water with them swimming around, against and to us, pushing us and doing their tricks almost at arm's reach from us floating in our life jackets. The people who had the platform only experience did not say good things about it: it's a lot of money to just touch the dolphins. If you are going to do it once in your life experience it to the fullest. We thought it was worth it.

When you get off your ship in Cozumel their are lots of cabs--it takes about 15 minutes to get from the International pier to Chakanaab park or 20 from down town, cabs are not that expensive and you will have no trouble catching one at the park to return. The park also has some snorkeling opportunities and beach, a botanical trail (we were there before hurricane Wilma, however) so you can do more than just go for the dolphin swim. There is admission to the park--ours was included in our ticket for the dolphin swim, but be aware of this if yours is not.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-12-2008, 12:39 PM

If you book online or through shoretrips.com remember that Cozumel is central time and your reservation will be at central time, regardless of how the ship clocks are set. Also bear in mind that your ship will depart on it's predetermined time schedule--no matter what time the clocks say on shore!
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Old 01-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Hi, we did the trip two years ago and went for the most expensive option - and really pleased that we did. Other people on our cruise were disappointed with the shorter encounter and felt that the cheapest one was just a photo opportunity. We spent a long time with the dolphins and got to do several tricks including being pulled along, having the dolphins push you out of the water and swim along with you etc etc. The time you spend with each of the dolphins is much longer and the dolphin to visitor ratio approx 1:2 which was great, hardly any hanging around. It was a great experience and I am sure you will love it. We just turned up and booked it ourselves which was much cheaper than going through RCI and meant that we went when it was less crowded as well.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:42 AM

I never did the Dolphin Excursion, but I talked to a lot of people that have and came to the conclusion that I'm doing the more expensive one. I'm taking my Grandson next year and it's a must do thing for him. It will be more than worth the extra money spent for the best memories ever.

Sonny
Old 01-14-2008, 11:58 AM

You won't be sorry. Asked my kids (13 & 20 years) what they thought of it and they said they would just as soon have skipped it than to have had it be less (and for almost the same $$)
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Closed Thread

Tags
booked, cozumel, daulphen, dolphin, dolphins, encounter, encounters, excursion, experience, money, review, reviews, royal, ship, swim, worth