Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2006, 12:58 PM

Can anyone give me their opinion on booking the Dunns River Falls excursion on the carnival imagination ship. Was it sold out once you arrived on the ship. Did you book it online before you went on your cruise. Did you bokk it with a private tour. Is their a private tour for Dunns River Falls, I seen alot for the stingray excursion but nothing for Dunns River??? HELP

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-17-2006, 01:22 PM

This should probably be in the Ports section, but none the less I'll give it a shot.

Where does the Imagination dock in Jamacia? Ocho Rios or Montego Bay? The falls are very close to Ocho Rios but require about an hour and a half on a bus from Montego Bay. Resulting in the excursions price from MB being about $100 a head more than from OR. If you book as soon as you get on the cruise ship (book from your cabin TV is fastest) you should not have a problem.

As far as private tours.. I assume there are, but if you are docking in Ocho Rios, its a short taxi ride (about $10???) and the entrance fee to the falls is like $15. I think they want $80 for a ship booked excursion. Just be sure you arrange a return taxi and plan on being back long before the ship is to sail in case you run into problems. If you get a taxi driver that wants to do the "round trip" price, DO NOT PAY until you come back to the ship or he will take you money and not return to bring you back.

Anyone have experience with a private tour company and the falls?
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-17-2006, 07:02 PM

We did the ship excursion to the falls in 2004. Cost us about $69 which included a van drive to the falls. We docked in Ocho Rios. Be sure to wear water shoes because some of the rocks are slippery. It's a great excursion. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course, they have the locals selling their wares once you reach the top. Just be careful, we were offered drugs once we reached the top. Just say no and walk away.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:46 PM

We went to Ocho Rios last year. I had hired Peat Taylor for our group. It was great!! He picked us up at the dock and told us he was ours for the day. He took us to Dunn River Fall, Fern Gully, and all over the city. My sister and I are nurses and we were courious what the hospital looked like so he even took us by that. It only cost us $30 a person and we had the best time. My sister-in-law is wheelchair bond and they even had a handcap van available with prior notice. We loved Peat and his son!!
www.peattaylor.com/index.html
Old 09-30-2006, 06:22 PM

If you're docking in Ocho Rios I've heard you can walk there if you're in good shape. Grab a quick cab, it'll probably be much cheaper. Also You can rent the "water shoes" when you get there so you don't have to buy them/bring them. They also have lockers there to rent. You may want to leave your camera behind though, unless it's waterproof and you can attach it to you somehow, it's too hard to walk up with something in your hands, you'll need to hold hands with everyone. The guides will offer to hold your camera (maybe) but they could drop it or get it wet.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:21 PM

I went to Dunns w/ RCCL a few years ago. Although I have never used Peat Taylor I have read alot about him on these boards. I feel Jamaica can be a bit intimidating, ask the concierge on the ship the name of a good Dunn's tour company and look for them when you get off the ship. The place will be packed, don't worry about it being sold out if you go w/ a private tour. It is fun, a do it once in your life experience.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:10 PM

We did the Dunn River Falls through the cruise ship - Triumph. This is place is not next door to the dock. Again, I always do the tours throught the ship; that way the Cruise ship knows where we are. Take a water camera with you. Bring you own water shoes or you got to rent them for each member of the family like another USD 5.00 per person. Also, Carnival takes pictures of everyone as they are walking up the falls. Nice touch. Pictures then cost I think $10.00 bucks. Also, the falls are very very slippery. Not really the best for toddlers. When you get to the top, I really don't like all the locals bothering us as we try to make our way to the bus. You have no choice you have to weave in and out of their shanty shacks. I found this very uncomfortable. Just say no thank you to their demands and proceed on your way. Once is enough for Dunn River Falls . We did not venture back when we went on Explorer last yea.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:57 PM

Me and my new fiance' went to the dunns falls in september. Believe me you will need water shoes, and wear clothes you don't mind getting wet. You will be in water up to your hips at times. The water is also very cold! I went through Royal Caribbean. From our ship we took a tour bus to the falls. The Rocks are very difficult to climb. It takes a lot of leg and arm strength to do. You are actually cllimbing the rocks with the water rushing down on you. We thought we would be climbing the side of the falls. Nope! you will be right in the middle of it with the water rushing on you. It's difficult but a fun experience. Just make sure you are ready to get wet! The Jamaican's take video footage and photo's of you while you climb and you can purchase the video tape there and pick it up from your cruise ship. It was nice to have.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Banned

we also did the falls in sept. on our own it was cheaper than with the tour..bring your own water shoes to avoid the rental...they make it sound like shoes are required but they are not, i saw a few people climb it barefoot....after scoping out the route from the observation points, i just got in near the last big climbing point and got my fill in that section...you don't have to start at the bottom and hold hands till the top...a usefull tip is to try to walk on the dark colored rocks...they are free of slippery slime that makes certain paths look lighter in the water...most importantly dont do it if your not comfortable, we saw some old ladies with terrified looks on thier faces forcing themselves up a difficult climb with the locals calling encouragement...the beach was not worth snorkeling and a chair cost $5...they had jet skis for rent very cheap just outside the swimming area $30 for an hour.

Closed Thread

Tags
buy, cab, carnival, cost, cruise, dunn, dunns, excursion, falls, hard, line, ocho, port, rios, river, taxi