Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 05:12 AM

Hello and thanks for such a helpful forum. I have been lurking since we decided to book a 4 night cruise on the Fantasy.

We booked the restricted view suite with the expectation that a full view suite will be assigned at boarding. We have just been informed by Carnival that we can upgrade to a penthouse suite for an additional $ 100.00

There will be three adults in this cabin. My wife and me and my sister. My other sister and brother in law are booked in a standard outside cabin so we can expect to have them make use of the balcony.

Does this sound like a pretty good deal

Thanks again
Old 07-25-2008, 06:49 AM
$100 total or $100 each?

Still sounds like a good deal....Go for it:-)

It's only Money

Happy Sailing

Bob E
Old 07-25-2008, 08:17 AM

Hi Alblancher, and Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

It is wonderful for you to come out from lurking and join us.

The extra $100 sounds like a great deal to me. The Penthouse Suites are so much bigger, along with the larger balcony. I would jump on it to just get to have one for once.

Welcome aboard,

Dwayne
Old 07-25-2008, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the welcome,

I understand it is $ 100 total so it seems worth it just to go 1st class for a change!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
We booked the restricted view suite with the expectation that a full view suite will be assigned at boarding.
You've made a very good decision for the upgrade. It's worth the difference for the Cat 12 over Cat 11. I copied the above part of your post for a reason. If you originally booked an obstructed view suite, there is absolutely no way of guaranteeing you'd have been assigned to an unobstructed view. If it was a Cat 11 unassigned cabin, there is a chance you'd be in an obstructed view. If it was Cat ST guarantee, there is a chance you'd get an obstructed view cabin. If it was a cabin assignment and one of the obstructed view cabins, you were almost assured of being in that obstructed cabin at boarding. I'm really glad you moved up. I think there was some mis-communication on what you had previously and how a randomly assigned cabin system works. Have a great vacation!

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-25-2008, 10:12 AM

Neil,

You understand it better than I do so thanks for explaining.

Al
Old 07-25-2008, 08:58 PM

Al, Let me see if I can state what Neil was saying in simpler terms.

Guaranteed Category Cabins; Upgrades possible.

Assigned Cabins; Upgrades rare.

And Neil is right, (not that I was questioning) that there does seem to have been some miscommunication.

Anyway, glad to have you with us.

Dwayne
Old 07-26-2008, 02:13 AM

Would you be apt to get an upgrade if you booked early or at the last minute ? Or would this matter ? I am referring to a oceanview or inside cabin .
Old 07-26-2008, 02:51 AM

there are no rhyme or reason to upgrades. it almost seems like it is the roll of the dice.
I would recommend you to book a cabin Guarantee for a cabin in a catagory that you would be happy with and then if you get an upgrade it will be a treat. Never book a guarantee with the expectation that it will be upgraded. I am afraid you would be disappointed.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Would you be apt to get an upgrade if you booked early or at the last minute ? Or would this matter ? I am referring to a oceanview or inside cabin .
You're always best served by booking early and getting what you want when you book. Trying to figure out ways of getting upgrades is a waste of time and energy. They happen, they happen rarely and to book something less than you want and hope for one is a way to be disappointed. If you want a window, book it and pay the difference. Same with a balcony. They want higher rates for higher categories for a reason, it is an occasional stroke of luck and cricumstance that results in something much higher than booked being awarded and there is nothing you can do to increase your odds of being the one who gets lucky.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
book, cabin, carnival, cruise, fantasy, money, ocean, owners, penthouse, porthole, stateroom, suite, unassigned, upgrade, upgrades, view, worth