Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 04:30 PM

Hi,
I'm going to book a cruise soon and was wondering how many of you select your room for the extra cost or if you let them pick it in a guarnteed class with possible upgrade. The only thing I'm really worried about is getting bunk beds or twin beds that won't convert to queen/king. Do you think it's a big risk or do you usually get good rooms?
Old 12-27-2007, 05:30 PM

I picked my room, i rather pay a litte extra and know where i am going to be, rather than be suprised and be right next to the elevator or ect,,, just my opinion

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 12-27-2007, 05:51 PM

I also would rather pick a great location, in the past I have been at the end of a verrrrry long hall, or a noisy area, and feel the little savings of a "guarantee" room, don't make that big a difference over a whole cruise.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 12-27-2007, 07:39 PM
I would also rather select the cabin myself.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 12-28-2007, 08:19 AM

It depends on what you have guarenteed. If it is a 1A, it could be bunk beds. If it's a 4A or higher it will be at the minimum twins that convert to a king.

Sometimes, I like the gamble and have been upgraded from an inside to an oceanview, an oceanview to a balcony, and a balcony to a suite.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Administrator

We never take chances. The price difference really isn't that much in the big scheme of things, and so we always pick our cabin. That way I know what I am getting.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 AM

We have picked our room, and on our last booking, we called our agent and got a free upgrade from 1A to 4A without even asking. So, I guess they were running a one day special and we hit that day...lucky us.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:03 AM

I can't believe there are so many here that don't gamble a little. I take guarantee any time I can, even when there is no cost difference between choosing and the guarantee status option. Guess it's partly due to not caring where in the ship they put me but also I see daily how many guarantees get substantial move ups. On Carnival don't take the 1A guarantee as Cruisehappy suggests, that would leave the posibility if bunks. But if they offer a Cat IS (inside guarantee) or a 4A guar, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Most of the people who choose, like those here will be choosing on the basis of location and price. That means the majority will opt for midship lower category. When all the affordable midship cabins are gone people start weighing the option of staying affordable or taking fore or aft options. When they start assigning those guarantees that leaves a few affordable fore and aft lower cabins and a lot of high priced upper level cabins that most were unwilling to pay the difference to get. The cruiseline wants all the cabins filled so they begin assigning anything left. That includes cabins you wouldn't have paid the extra cost to move to but would have preferred. I see it as a no lose situation. You're guaranteed to get at least what you paid for, a minimal category. But with the upside of possibly getting something better at the same cost. They do keep the inside categories open often when they are actually out of inside cabins all together in an effort to fill the ship. That means some onboard when they do this will be moved up to oceanview. I had a booking this morning that was assigned a Cat 6B (unbostructed window on main deck, not a porthole) from an IS guarantee.

One thing though, if you do opt for a guarantee, you don't get to be one of those at the Pursers desk whining about where your cabin is and that you didn't get upgraded. They won't care, you chose to gamble. I just like the odds, I've never had a cabin that was a disappointment.

Cheers, Neil
Old 12-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Well is not that I don't like to gamble
but I will never take a Guarantee cabin...

I my case my wife likes to see when we arrive to the island during morning and also like to film it as we departure from it so I always book a cabin that's looking to the island not to the sea when I book a balcony...

Also if you don't like to get sea sick the location of your cabin is important
you know that the good cabins will be the first to sell, after that, you will get what no one will take;

* partially obstructed

* near the ship motor

* near the party pool

I like to cruise because is the best vacation for the money but also it should be a pleasant one...
Old 12-29-2007, 12:02 AM

I have booked both ways, usually the assigned though. Neil makes a great point of not booking the 1A Category on a Gaurantee. It seems the more I cruise the pickier I get about my cabin location.

At the same time if I am on a tight budget (as is often the case) and it is a shorter 4-5 day cruise, I will take the Guarantee if it saves at least $10 per day per person.

Neil can correct me if I am wrong, but it seems the earlier one books the Guarantee the better the possible upgrade.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
allocation, caribbean, carnival, convert, cruise, fascination, guarantee, ledgen, left, march, queen, room, rooms, royal, unassigned