Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 08:26 PM

We will be taking our first cruise and are starting with a short three day Mexico Baja cruise from the Los Angeles area. My 12 year old son and 14 year old daughter will be along and I want to make sure they will have things to do. This cruise is available from two different cruise lines and I would like help deciding which would be best for keeping the kids busy and happy. Should we go with Royal Caribbean or Carnival?

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:09 PM

Hi there, welcome.

Note that RCCL will not be doing the 3-day and 4-day Mexico Baja cruise after October 13th. The last 3-day is the Oct 10 cruise and the last 4-day is the Oct 13 cruise. After that, RCCL is moving the Monarch of the Seas to Florida.

I have not been on Carnival, but did have a great time on RCCL for the 3-day. I'll be doing it again for the last 3-day this coming October. From what I saw, there was plenty to do for kids. But, remember, the 3-day is basically a huge weekend party.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:37 AM

Hello JMProwler, welcome to Cruise-Chat!

Both cruise lines have tons of things for kids of all ages. If the price is close to the same I would consider RCCL because of their loyalty program. If you're like 99% of other first time cruisers, you'll be booking another cruise.

Sonny
Old 07-09-2008, 08:56 PM

The Carnival Paradise is a lot of fun. We have been three times now. The rooms on the ship are 185 sq ft. I believe most on Royal are 122 sq ft. Big difference. Check it to make sure, but if I remember right, the Monarch has much smaller rooms. If there are more than two of you, it will be a tight squeeze. But from experience, the Paradise is great, and if kids, their Camp Carnival program is a ton of fun. Just my opinion.
Nov. 2006- Carnival Paradise
Apr 2007- Celebrity Century
June 2007- Carnival Paradise
November 2007- Carnival Paradise
March 2008- Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
June 2008- Holland America Oosterdam (Alaska)
August 2008, Carnival Victory (Canada)
October, 2008 Carnival Paradise (Mexico)
November 2008, Carnival Imagination, Key West/Cozumel
February 2009, Disney Wonder (Bahamas)
April 2009, Carnival Victory (S.Caribbean)
Coming Soon- June 2009, HAL Eurodam (Northern Europe)
Coming Soon- Nov.2009 Disney Wonder (Bahamas)
Old 07-10-2008, 10:28 AM

In my book this is a toss up. Two very good posts on benefits of each above. The CCL cabins will definately be larger for inside or oceanview options. Be careful of the Cat 1A on the Paradise, it's usually the lowest cost option but has only an upper/lower berth configuration (bunk beds). If you fall in love with cruising, RCCL's loyalty program is a big benefit since you can hit Platinum status with only 5 cruises right now.

Whatever you decide you'll have a great time, welcome to cruise-chat!

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-15-2008, 07:00 PM

We were on both and If I had to choose it would definately be the Carnival Paradise. The rooms are so much bigger and I just think the Paradise is a much nicer ship. (My Opinion) If it's your fist cruise and you have never been to Catalina Island you should do the 4 day Baja which takes you to Catalina Island and Ensenada. We loved Catalina. A great little island. Not much difference in price from the 3 day to the 4 day and it's well worth it. I have to also say the beds on the Carnival Paradise are so comfortable out of other Carnival ships. I never slept so good on a ship like I did on the Paradise. Well have a great trip on whatever you choose. Debbie

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
baja, caribbean, carnival, catalina, cruise, cruises, day, febuaray, island, mexico, recent, review, reviews, royal, things