Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2007, 02:19 PM

How important is it to book excursions in advance? My group and I aren't totally set on any particular one, but we do have a few in mind. Do all the good ones sell out very far in advance? Are the "good" ones really that good that a similar one will not suffice? Also, how far in advance is far enough?

I was also thinking that it might be worth it to wait till I'm on the cruise and go to the meeting where they describe them all, but it might be too late by then.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:45 PM

Most will not sell out although there is always that chance. I never book anything in advance that is not a do or die for my trip which is very rare. I believe I'm in the minority with my approach though. If its a new itinerary for me I like to talk to the folks at the eccursion desk and also find out what the others at my dinner table are planning. I've met a lot of people on the cruise ships that I enjoyed socializing with and want my options open.

Many times they make the announcements onboard and make it sound like if you don't book it NOW you won't be able to get it because there are only a few slots left. Most of this is in fact hype. For many of the excursions they can simply add another motor coach or vendor if something become very popular during your sailing. I've even seen them discount some to fill the empty slots at the last minute.

If you book them in advance and the weather turns ugly there is some risk too. Some of them have very limited time frames for cancellation. If you plan on horseback riding across the beach and when you arrive the guy with the horses shows up in a monsoon, you sometimes have to ride in the rain or forfeit your deposit.

Book the things that would ruin your trip if missed and wait on the rest until you decide they fit how you feel when you get close to port.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-15-2007, 07:36 AM

thanks for the info...makes more comfortable about waiting a bit
Old 05-15-2007, 08:02 AM

TrvlPro hit it right on the noce...let me add one thing. Alot depends on which excursion and whgere you are going. Many of the excursions have several groups they take...and they'll NEVER turn anyone away! Reserving in advance helps, but you'll usually be ok on board.

Closed Thread