Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Peter, it's not that the whole ship is booked; it's just that certain catagories are sold out. Let's take inside cabins; there are maybe six catagories of inside cabins. The least expensive ones sell out first. But the cruise line can continue to sell cabins at that price even though they don't actually have any; they sell it on a "guarantee" basis--you will get a cabin at that price even if they have to give you a more expensive one. You can't pay extra to get a "guarantee" cabin--it's at the cruise lines option--not yours. The "guarantee" becomes available only when a catagory is sold out--and then only if the cruise line wants to make it available.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:09 PM

Thanks f-mattox.
I fully understand what you are saying.
Thanks for the explanation.
Cheers
Peter
Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 PM

@f-mattox:

Thanks for your explainations.

We booked more than one year in advance an oceanview garantuee stateroom on FASCINATION next January 2008.

Let's see what we get.

But can it be that this is only CARNIVAL's policy???

I was surprised:

CUNARD immediately allocate a stateroom and officially the cheapest staterooms are sold out now. And I do not have the impression that they give us the best available stateroom at time of allocation! And if the cheapest staterooms are sold out - I think we have no chance to be upgraded to a higher category - or?

RCCL started to offer Garantee staterooms when all (fixed) inside staterooms are sold out.

CELEBRITY shows actually only the (fixed) staterooms and show all Garantee staterooms as sold out (also nearly one year to departure).

With NCL we made the experience that we fixed a special inside stateroom and got a balcony stateroom.

Regards,
HeinBloed
Old 03-07-2007, 11:06 PM

Hienbloed,
This is the part I don't understand.

Quote:
We booked more than one year in advance an ocean view garantuee stateroom on FASCINATION next January 2008.
What I understand from this discussion is that you were given a guaranteed ocean view stateroom because all other ocean view staterooms had been sold out even twelve months ahead.

That's interesting. So, if you book far enough ahead to get a stateroom allocated,it appears you lose the chance to get upgraded? Am I correct or am I missing something here. It doesn't seem fair that someone can come along later can't book a stateroom category because they have all been sold but has a better chance of being upgraded than someone who has booked months ahead.

Doh! am I thick or what.

Cheers

Peter
Old 03-08-2007, 04:15 PM

I really do not know how it works, but.....This is my fifth cruise (though first on carnival), and the first time I have booked a "guarantee". It is also the closest to the cruise date I have ever booked. It is the first time I have ever received an upgrade.

I do know that on Celebrity Mercury I had a cabin that was under terrible noise of things being moved middle of night. When I complained, they offered to move me to a worse, extremely forward, cabin, and said that was all they could do for me since their policy was only a one category upgrade, and nothing was available that met their one category criteria. Also, and not on the upgrade subject, I know, I am hearing impaired and my TA had ordered the cabin to be equipped for that. First they said "they never had the order". Then, a few days later, they said "they were looking for the equipment" Finally, they admitted the equipment was broken and not available, and I never received it. So much for Celebrity's so called service orientation!.
Ellie
Old 03-08-2007, 05:28 PM
No Peter, you are not thick;
you are looking for fairness and logic in a system that is completely arbitrary.
You can book a specific cabin of your choosing, or you can roll the dice and see what you get.
As some of these posts point out, what the cruise line may consider an upgrade may not be better for you.
I prefer to pick my own cabin; then I know what I've got.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:24 AM

f-mattox said it right. Just to agree.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:08 AM
Peter, if you haven't already, check out the thread in the NCL forum, "No more upsell questions allowed"; there is good information on this subject there--expecially Ron Clark's post.
Cheers.
IslandCruz, thank you!
Old 03-09-2007, 09:58 PM

Thanks f-mattox,
Now I DO understand. I have been allocated cabin 2312 outside view on Main Deck. Going by many a post on cabin situations this is midship and should be pretty comfortable. So now I'm happy.
Cheers
Peter
Old 03-13-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ptur:
Hi Terri,
We've booked a 6B cabin but I didn't know anything about a guarantee with it being my first cruise. We are booked in 2312 on the Main Deck. I would loved to think we could be upgraded but I expect as we didn't book a guarantee we won't get one.
Oh well thats the way it goes you live and learn.
Cheers
Peter
Nothing is impossible. We had booked on the main deck of victory cabin 2389. 3 days before departure, my TA gets a call from CCL. They upgraded us to cabin 8232 Balcony on Verandah deck 8. Cross your fingers and even if there is no upgrade - hey you on a cruise. relax and enjoy

Caribbean Travel Photos

Riu Playacar Resort: Playa del Carmen All Inclusive
03-08 Carnival Triumph
08-07 Carnival Celebration
03-07 Carnival Victory
07-96 Crown Princess

Closed Thread

Tags
booked, cabin, carnival, chances, cruise, garantee, garnetee, guarantee, gurantee, inside, low, room, rooms, time, upgrade, upgraded