Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2006, 01:18 PM

Hi,

My wife and I are going on our first cruise (Canada) on 7/10 on the Victory.

A couple of questions:
1) We are planning to do an excursion in St. John's, but were thinking about going out on our own in Halifax. Is there stuff to do around the port, any car rental places or do you really have to go for the excursion?

2) My wife has horrible asthma and cigarette smoke can trigger a really bad attack. We are wondering if we are going to have a problem (in the cabin from previous people having smoked) - on the balcony and on the ship in general.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2006, 01:18 PM

Hi,

My wife and I are going on our first cruise (Canada) on 7/10 on the Victory.

A couple of questions:
1) We are planning to do an excursion in St. John's, but were thinking about going out on our own in Halifax. Is there stuff to do around the port, any car rental places or do you really have to go for the excursion?

2) My wife has horrible asthma and cigarette smoke can trigger a really bad attack. We are wondering if we are going to have a problem (in the cabin from previous people having smoked) - on the balcony and on the ship in general.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Administrator

I can answer your question about Halifax. We will also be on Carnival Victory, a couple of weeks before you -- this will be our fourth visit.

My favorite place in Halifax is the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, which is about a 10-minute walk from the ship along a very nice pier. The museum is amazing. There is a very well done exhibit on Titanic (Halifax was instrumental in recovery efforts), as well as Halifax history in general. You can also take a short harbor cruise from this area. A little closer to the terminal (or, more correctly, right in the terminal itself) is the Pier 21 Immigration Museum. There are lovely botanical gardens, as well. A free bus, called FRED, runs during the summer and stops at the major sites.

If you want to see Peggy's Cove, though, you'd have to take a ship's tour or rent a car as it is about a 45 minute drive from Halifax.

What are you planning for St. John? We love this city, too.

Sorry -- can't answer the smoking questions.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LisaP:
I can answer your question about Halifax. We will also be on Carnival Victory, a couple of weeks before you -- this will be our fourth visit.

My favorite place in Halifax is the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, which is about a 10-minute walk from the ship along a very nice pier. The museum is amazing. There is a very well done exhibit on Titanic (Halifax was instrumental in recovery efforts), as well as Halifax history in general. You can also take a short harbor cruise from this area. A little closer to the terminal (or, more correctly, right in the terminal itself) is the Pier 21 Immigration Museum. There are lovely botanical gardens, as well. A free bus, called FRED, runs during the summer and stops at the major sites.

If you want to see Peggy's Cove, though, you'd have to take a ship's tour or rent a car as it is about a 45 minute drive from Halifax.

What are you planning for St. John? We love this city, too.

Sorry -- can't answer the smoking questions.

Thanks for the tips. We were planning on taking the St. John phootography tour.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:54 PM

Regarding the smoke, it depends on how sensitive your wife is to cigarette smoke and residue. They clean the cabins quite well, but those who are quite sensitive will likely be able to tell if the cabin has been smoked in previously. And if your neighbors smoke on their balconies, you will probably know it as well, depending on which way the wind is blowing.

If her allergy is severe, I'd recommend she talk with her doctor about her concerns. Perhaps there are some things (medications, etc.) he can prescribe to help forestall an attack, and of course make sure to have enough of her asthma meds along in your carry-on luggage.

With her health situation, I strongly advise purchasing a good travel insurance that will reimburse you for any medical expenses you may have on the trip. Be aware that if you did not buy it close to the time you booked the cruise, pre-existing medical conditions may not be covered.

Closed Thread

Tags
car, cruise, halifax, rent