Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 07:04 PM

I am a first-time cruiser leaving on 05/27 from NYC (it's an Eastern Caribbean cruise). I have a few questions that I am hoping this community can help answer

First, what is the general demographic of cruises out of NYC? Is there even? I am going with my friends (all female, late 20s). Will there be plenty of single people? Not really an issue, just curious

Second, is it better to try and pack a few different outfits for each day, or maybe try to do laundry on board? I just can't see fitting 15 or more outfits plus everything else into my suitcase. Or should I invest in a bigger suitcase?

Third, does anybody have any recommendations for the excursions? We'll be in San Juan, Tortola, and St Thomas.

TIA for any responses!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:45 AM

I don't know about the demographic however I would make the guess that the majority will be american and canadian passengers. I don't know if that really answers your guestion however thats all I got. I always only pack 1 outfit per day plus my formal were for at night. Reason is that I am almost always at a beach or pool for at least half of each day so my cloths only get warn for around 3 or 4 hours. I have done laundry on board. Somtimes I am in my cloths longer in the sun so I will make it to thursday to so laundry. Shore excursions for site seeing I would recommend that in San Juan you see the old Spanish forts and the Bacardi Rum factory. I would not book the rum factory through the ship (Only if you are Comfortable not doing so) because it is around 30.00 for the factory or you can just go to your right when you get off the ship (talk to the cabbies they will guild you to were it is) you have to take a ferry accross the bay for .50 and then it's 2.00 per person for the rest of the cab fare. onces you get to the factory its free. if you like to fly a kite. upi by the spanish for there are always hundreds of them flying in the feild. St. Thomas I would always recomend megans bay, go off to one of the sides though because the middle is always busy. There are always plenty of single people on these ships. the last one we had two single friend come with us an they met lots of boys to have fun with.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 AM

I'm jealous. A whole bunch of us just booked this same cruise for 4/08!! Please right back to this board and let me know how this cruise was!! This will be my 4th cruise so I'm no expert. But you will have a great time I'm sure. Just make the best of it and you won't have any worries. I usually pack 2 outfits for each day and then a dress up outfit for dinner. Personally, I would just invest in another piece of luggage instead of sending your clothes to be cleaned. As far as excursions, I haven't been to those islands yet, but we usually do our own thing instead. There will be people at the ports (taxi drivers etc.) that will offer you tours etc. so you could do that also. But if you feel more comfortable booking through the cruise line that's up to you. Have a great time.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:24 AM
As far as packing and laundry goes, I pack a few sets of shorts and shirts and pants and 2 sets of formal wear, Dress shoes, sandles, running shoes, excursion shoes and duck feet. And of course Swim wear. I plan on doing laundry about mid way (I do 7-8 day cruises) for at the very least underwear. It works well this way for me.

Take a good look through this site for advise about doing private tours. My advise is: DON'T DO IT. The ships will advise against it and it is not only that they want your money( They do want your money ) but it is a saftey and security issue. Especially if this is your first cruise. People who have been to ports multiple times begin to know what and where it is safe. Look at what happened just last week on the Liberty, or find others that were scammed cheated, had buses fall off cliffs. Stick to the trodden and proven paths.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the responses. I just have a few more questions--the website says the ship leaves at 4 pm from NYC. What time should we plan on getting to the port? I haven't gotten any documentation from Carnival yet but from what I've read, the earlier the better. We were planning on taking the bus down from Boston that morning but now I'm thinking maybe we should stay overnight.

Also, has anybody been on board the Miracle? What is the nightclub like? I can't find very much information on it online.

Thanks all!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:57 AM

Hey massgirl,

We are going on the Miracle in May, we are driving from Canada and staying overnight in New Jersey as we are not sure how traffic will be. Usually you can get on the cruise ships early, they say not to go to the NYC port before 2 p.m. as that is when they let you on the boat. However, it also says not to get to the Tampa port before 1:30 and last year we were there at 11:30 and on the boat by 12:15 eating lunch. Go figure.

Free Cruise Tickers
Carnival Miracle-05/07
Grandeur of the Seas-03/06
Caribbean Princess-04/05
Old 02-28-2007, 08:32 AM

I'm a mass girl too! Last time we cruised out of NYC we drove down ourselves early in the A.M. We got to the port around 11 and was onboard the ship around 12ish!!
Old 02-28-2007, 05:19 PM

We went on the Legend out of NYC last Sept. We got to the terminal at around 10. (we had taken a shuttle from Upstate NY) they didnt let the bus unload because the ship hadn't finished disembarking yet. So the bus driver had to drive around in the city for a hour.
We got back there at 11AM and were on the ship by noonish. I also am going on the Miracle on May 3-11. We are driving in ourselves and parking in the lot this time. I'm hoping everything goes smooth. Planning on arriving about 12-1PM just to be sure everyone that has just gotten off, is gone!!! Bon Voyage!!! TRESE

Closed Thread

Tags
byc, carnival, cruise, demographic, earliest, miracle, number, nyc, pack, port, review, reviews, ship, time, whats