Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2006, 10:34 PM
I heard on the TV news that something bad was happening onboard the Carnival SENSATION. But I tuned in late to the news story so I did not hear exactly what. All I got from the TV news story was that the ship was stuck in it's home port (Canaveral) and that there are a bunch of angry passengers onboard. Does anyone know what happened?
Old 03-24-2006, 03:27 AM

Frase,

the "Sensation" was temporarily detained by the USCG due to alleged fire-safety deficiencies. Apparently some changes to the ship's fire-safety systems were made during the just completed dry-docking. And while, according to Carnival, these were certified by both the USCG and Lloyd's Register (the ship's classification society), the USCG inspectors who checked the ship yesterday did not accept these changes and counted them as violations, resulting in a temporary detention of the ship.

The ship sailed at approx. 11 pm last night.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 03-25-2006, 07:10 AM

Just curious! Did the ship offer free drinks while detained. Because then I would've CARED less when it took off
Old 03-25-2006, 07:15 AM

Right now the ship is having a propulsion problem and has cancelled the port of Grand Turks and Caicos for its Mar 27th sailing. It has replaced the port with Freeport.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:21 AM

BUMMER! Who wants to go to Freeport? I saw nothing in that place I'd have to see again. Sure hope they have it fixed well by May 13th!
Grand Turks is my MAIN destination I'm looking forward to.
BTW, leaving for Nassau in the AM for 4 days to a resort, so Obviously Grand Turks would be my main objection on the cruise.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:33 PM

There was a small article on our local news about 6 or 8 people who, after demanding a refund, were ordered to remove their luggage from the ship in the Bahamas and find their own way home. They deny that they make a big scene, but you have to be pretty overbearing and disruptive to be denied re-entry onto a ship.

One thing about cruising is that you must be flexable and not let changes in plans upset you.
It's a ship and things happen.

Jim
Old 03-27-2006, 07:39 PM

Yes things happen. I was one of the 'parking lot' people. We were held for 8 hours, being told nothing. We were given a bottle of warm water and a cold McDonald's hamburger. I watched elderly in wheelchairs shiver in the dark and heard babies crying as we waited for 2 small shuttle buses to take us to the ship at 10pm. If Carnival had no emergency plan for this, what other emergencies do they have no plan for? One of the wheelchair guests was on the deck at midnight, the carpet in her room was soaked and water running down the walls. Our suite had rust and mold on the ceiling and puddles of water on the floor when we boarded. The only person on the cruise that asked if we were having a good time was a few kids in the elevator. This cruise line needs a major attitude adjustment. It was nothing like I expected as a first time cruiser.

Closed Thread

Tags
canaveral, carnival, cruise, emergency, plans, port, safe, sensation, ship, stuck