Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2007, 08:26 AM

Can anyone that has sailed a lot please tell me if we will have a problem with seasickness, this cabin is at the very back of the boat. We know that balcony is larger & has less wind, better view but we don't want to be seasick for the whole trip. Thanks in advanced.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:47 AM

Be sure and buy motion sickness wristbands. I found them at CVS. They really work if you wear them correctly. Good Luck.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Banned

I haven't been on the Glory yet, but I've been online all day today looking to book this week for October.
For seasickness, Meclizine (brand name Bonine) is complimentary on the Holiday. I bought some in Mobile last week to take along just in case. I never took it, although it rained nonstop the first two days making the waters rougher. I did not get seasick. I was in cabin M157 (10 units from the back). I felt more rocking motion on the upper decks than the lower.
Here is a chance for an ENGINEER or PHYSICS genius to correct my uneducated theory on the rocking and bouncing of a ship:

Put your elbow on a table, forearm straight up like preparing for arm wrestling. Keeping your elbow stationary, rock your arm to the left and then to the right.
Which part of your arm makes more movement?
My theory is that the closer to the bottom of the ship, the less rocking movement; the higher up, the greater the rocking movement.
NEXT,
The propellers are in the rear. The front of the ship will experience more movement when turning left and right, than the rear. And the front will bounce up and down more than the rear. Have you ever riden or watched a small pleasure boat traveling forward? The front bounces on the wake of the water, the back stays firm.

I didn't think I would get seasick because I've been out in the Gulf on a 30 ft. boat many times and never had a problem. I wanted to have it on hand in case I did get sick. If you want to get it from Carnival, go to the infirmary BEFORE you leave port. If you wait till after you get sick, they won't be sure that you don't have a virus and they will quarentine you to your cabin for 2 days. Take your own meds, including Immodium. Better safe than sorry.

SIDEBAR:
(No not a salad bar) -- About the only thing I can think of about the aft that bothers some people is the engine sound. But guess what, there are generators and air compressors all over the ship. There's noise everywhere. Actually it lulls me to sleep, so I don't have a problem with the noise. I can't hear people in the corridors or next door. I also don't sit in my cabin fuming about the noise of the engine. If I can't sleep, then I must not be tired. I don't go to my cabin at night until I'm exhausted and about to fall asleep.

CRUISING IS GOOD!
Old 09-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Banned

We also book as far AFT as possible on every class of ship (except the Destiny) and we have not had a problem yet.

I take Bonine every morning with my coffee. I never need to take another one. And we have been in some "interesting" seas.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:33 PM
johnnystatic- I concur with texastraveler1953 regarding the security of bringing the wristbands with you-but there are some more natural remedies available such as : green apples and/or ginger pills-they have little or no side efeects and have been used quite effectively for many years by many sailors.

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy

Montserrat Villas
Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 PM
I always get a prescription for Transderm, a patch that goes behind your ear. It's wonderful! You change the patch every three days and it stays on even in the shower and pool. The only side effect I've had was slightly dry eyes. I get VERY motion sick, so the patch works wonders for me! It's funny, too, when you have a patch, how many other people you notice with it around the ship.

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 09-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Banned

BillyBuzzy -- Thanks for the tip about the green apples and ginger pills -- Natural ginger has been a homeopathic wonder for dizziness, used by Chinese sailors thousands of years ago. And on my next cruise there's a sushi bar. I love the pickled ginger that cleans the palate. I'm booking an OVG -- somewhat of a gamble because they assign my cabin from leftovers -- I prefer to be far aft instead of far forword. So I'll use it as prevention. I wonder if I'm allowed to take green apples with me. I don't think it's allowed, but I'll check into it. Maybe I can request it as a dietary necessity. I've never heard of the green apple being used for this. Is it green apple as in Granny Smith (my favorite) or green as in unripened apples? I know, it sounds like a dumb question. I'm assuming its the Granny Smith variety.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Banned

Now I'm really curious. Sometimes I forget that I have resources on my own bookshelves.
My uncle, James A. Duke, PhD, is a botanist and has written many books on herbs and homeopathic remedies. He worked for the government and spent a lot of time living with Shamans in the Yucatan Peninsula. One book, The Green Pharmacy, gives a lot of information about the efficacy of ginger. Although the FDA won't admit it, tests have shown ginger to be far superior to Dramamine. Not only is it effective for seasickness and other types of motion sickness, it is also a remedy for morning sickness in pregnancy. Try ginger tea.
Jimsonweed contains scopolamine which is the key ingredient in TransDerm Scop patches that go behind the ear -- they can cause blurred vision, dry mouth, hallucinations and heart palpitations. Oh well, everything seems to have a side effects. Over and over, he stresses ginger just as BillyBuzzy recommended.
Fun fact: The word NAUSEA comes from the Greek word NAUS, meaning "ship."

A Carnival CD shared a list of silliest questions from passengers. One was: "What religion are all those people who wear the patches behind their ears?" I am not kidding.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:16 AM
Well, I guess it's everyone's personal choice as to what method they want to use. I've definitely never suffered heart palpitations or hallucinations from the patch. My doctor recommended it, and every medicine in the world has "supposed" side effects, yet people still take them. But for people who have found herbal remedies to work for you, more power to you! I was just sharing my experience, and as a person with very severe motion sickness, the patch has worked for me.

Edited to add: I didn't mean for this to sound snarky at all...haven't had my morning coffee.

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 09-12-2007, 05:18 AM
SuzyCruise-There are always plenty of fresh fruits available aboard ships,especially at the buffets-No need to bring green apples aboard-they are there waiting for you!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy

Montserrat Villas

Closed Thread

Tags
7447, cabin, cabins, carnaval, carnival, cruise, front, glory, images, miracle, room, seasick, seasickness, splendor, stateroom