Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 04:43 PM

Raoul, Thanks so much for posting the picture and pointing out some of the new design features! I like the design too, not many standard outside cabins I notice.

Dwayne
Old 04-26-2008, 09:06 AM

Funny thing, the "hull balconies" on the Fantasy class ships are marketed as "penthouse suites" and are more expensive than the verandah balcony suites much higher up. Go figure.....

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 04-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator

I've never understood why penthouses became the most exclusive hotel suites and were located on the top floor. You are inconvenienced by longer elevator rides, you really can't walk to anything, and then there is the safety issues in case of fire.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Raoul-Thank You for the beautiful rendering of the new Carnival Ship-Another beauty and another Megaship! Cruising is becoming more and more awesome with each passing year!

BillyBuzzy
Old 04-26-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
I've never understood why penthouses became the most exclusive hotel suites and were located on the top floor. You are inconvenienced by longer elevator rides, you really can't walk to anything, and then there is the safety issues in case of fire.
Just saw a doccumentary on highrise buildings on just that subject. When Otis Elevator Corp. came up with a fail-safe system for elevators in the case of the rope (rope was all that held early elevators) breaking, it enabled building designers to go higher. As they went to the skys, the view was better until the property owner next door built one higher than the previous one. The top floors with the best views became, for the first time, the most desirable. Previously the 1st floor (no stairs or waiting on very slow elevator systems) commanded the highest lease rates. That trend has stuck much like peoples desire to be on higher decks of a ship has become more desirable. In part for the view and in part because of the cruise industrys past class system where the bottom decks were for steerage. Cattle/livestock and people in lower economic classes. Those trends stick even though most people don't know or care about the origins. They just know they're supposed to ask for a higher deck for some mysterious reason. I've asked people with such requests why they'd like to be higher up and the vast majority of the time there is either a long silence or "I don't know, I just thought those were better cabins" is the reply.

Cheers, Neil
Old 04-26-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by billybuzzy:
Raoul-Thank You for the beautiful rendering of the new Carnival Ship-Another beauty and another Megaship! Cruising is becoming more and more awesome with each passing year!

BillyBuzzy
It sure does! It would be awesome (if they had them) to put the Mardi Gras or the Carnivale beside the Carnival Dream for comparison. The slogan "you've came a long way baby" would take on a new meaning. Have to admit though, I still have a fondness for the classic smaller ships in some regards.

Dwayne
Old 04-27-2008, 05:29 AM

The Carnivale was my first ship to cruise on. Funny now to think how intimidated of her I was then. I prefer the smaller ships. I've never been on a megaship. I think I would be overwhelmed.
2005-Carnival Holiday
1996-Commodore Enchanted Isle
1995-Commodore Enchanted Seas
1992-Commodore Enchanted Seas
1983-Carnival Carnivale
Old 04-27-2008, 09:42 AM

The Carnivale was my first ship too. I thought it was huge at the time. Just imagine they could fit about 5 Carnivales into the Dream.

Here is a link to the Carnivale.

Here are some links to the Topaz (formerly Carnivale). These were dated 2004 and 2003.

Link 1

Link 2

Dwayne
Old 04-27-2008, 10:03 AM

My first was a Princess, a sister ship to the Love Boat on TV. They had it up in Seatle doing day cruises up the Peugeot Sound from Seattle to Vancouver in the 70s. Running it almost like a ferry, back and forth. Not realy a cruise but it was my first taste of an actual cruiseship. Loved it then, love it now.

Cheers, Neil
Old 04-27-2008, 10:14 AM

Dwayne, the fist pic with the big "Peace Boat" logo and description made me wonder if the ship only turns left now?

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
balcony, canaveral, canavral, carnival, cruise, date, day, dream, elevators, hull, lifeboats, photos, port, press, release, reviews, ship