Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2006, 02:39 PM

So, if you eat all your meals in the buffet then you tip those people right? Thing is the poor waiters and assistant waiters in the dining room still have to show up and stay the whole time whether they have two people or twenty.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:04 PM

Ok, I definitely understand how everyone feels about whether or not to tip, I don't think it's right to have to put a tip there anyway. You can adjust them up or down according to your service. I also understand how the waiter's feel, I'm a waitress. No we don't make much money, yes where I work we depend on our tips, and no, sometimes we get no tip, even though we've taken very good care of our customer, but that's ok, that's the way it goes. My original question was was the 10 per person per day added to the deposit amount making a higher deposit you had to post, or taken away from the initial deposit. That's all I was asking, but thanks for sharing your thoughts
Old 03-28-2006, 03:05 PM

DJ Eddy - here in America there is a minimum wage for all workers, including restaurant waitstaff. They know what their guaranteed pay is per hour when they take their jobs. No one is forcing them into these jobs, it's their choice. They also know that tipping is at the discretion of the diner. Good service = good tip. Yes, if a waitress in a coffee shop doesn't serve me well, then I won't give her anything above what she is already earning. I was a waitress in my youth, and I knew that I had to earn my tips. They were not a given amount. The only time I am told what to tip is at restaurants that require a minimum tip for large parties for "my convenience". Bull. I won't eat there! That is not for my convenience. It's for the waitstaff's.

I do work in a customer service field. Quite often I will put a lot of time into a client, who then moves to another service provider. I get nothing. I know this, accept this, and try to be even better than the other provider so I can make the money. Fair enough.

I understand there will always be people who won't tip no matter what. Perhaps these people don't tip because they feel the service they were given was lacking, or just average? And they don't want to reward the provider for doing nothing more than the minimum? Or they're just plain cheap. I should not have to make up for them.

peachcrek - I agree with you. I've already paid for the cruise and the service that goes along with it. Anything extra should be my choice, not theirs. And there are rude waiters, stewards, etc. I'm supposed to tip them the same as the good ones? No thank you. We had a cruise a few years ago (3? 4?) in a suite. Supposedly extra service, twice daily cleaning, butler service if we wanted it, etc. We complained at the desk during this cruise - our cabin steward didn't even show up for a day and a half. And when she did, she dropped some towels off on the bed and that was it. And I'm supposed to tip her like the ones that pampered their guests?

Cruise Fanatic - No, I don't tip the buffet. For what? I get my food, bring my food to the table, etc. The people in the buffet aren't included in the tipping hierarchy anyway. Not on most ships. It's the cabin stewards, waitstaff, and maitre'd, (sp?) right? The buffet people are on a different pay schedule to begin with. As for the waiters not having any people at their tables or just a few - that's not my fault, I'm sorry! Should I tip the waiter at the main restaurant in a hotel if I choose to eat at McDonalds? I don't think so...

If it's a service fee and required, then charge me at the beginning. If it's a "tip", then I should be able to decide who and how much. I'd much rather have it all paid for before I board the ship anyway. Like I said, don't call it a gratuity if it's not.

Why don't they just add this in to the cost from the beginning and be done with it?

I remember when it was a "suggested" amount. Now it's a forced amount many places. Being forced makes me less likely to give out even more.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:09 PM

Bubbles! LOL... how we digress...

As far as I know, your deposit needs to be enough to cover your "suggested" gratuity. Nothing more. There is no requirement to spend a single penny on board, so they can't force you to leave more. Obviously, if you run short of money on your card, it won't go through. Think of it as a credit card with a limit. The gratuities = your limit, nothing else is spent, you're fine. Want to spend more? Pay down the balance.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:26 PM

yep, definitely digressed........and how
Old 03-28-2006, 04:23 PM
um lets figure this out dining room staff fixed gratuity for 1800 pax. its usually 5.50 for dining staff, 4.50 for steward and his assistent. thats sad, steward works all day preparing room for night, cleaning in morning & afternoon. Waiters, waitress work 4-5 hours in dining room serving and assistants help them, thats $9,900.00 for them to share,thats only the dining room, now mind you maybe 20 to 25 percent, may not tip, but there are the majority that give a little extra because they know how hard these folks work, and see it and do not mind throwing a little extra in the envelopes, the crew does very good for them- selves, no rent, do not pay for thier meals, they travel all over the world, pay no taxes get paid in CASH, not to hard to take I would say, I do know that they work and wear many hats on the ship they are on call 24/7 but believe me they are not starving by no means, if it was that bad there would be NO crew On board it takes special folks to be a worker on a cruise ship and my hat is off to them, but there are a few that suck just like out here in the real world, and do not deserve a tip, it takes a real awful service for me not to tip and we ran across it on the Miracle in Jan, we just found it more enjoyble to go to the buffets, then sit and wait for a waiter who was more concerned with a larger party at 2 tables then the 3 of us in a booth, got tired of hunting him down and we read the entire menu 8 times before he showed up, there was more, but its water under the bridge, if you want really impeccable service visit the supper club we did that one night and it was worth the 50.00 tip we left for the service
Old 03-28-2006, 04:38 PM

no worries Heidi i was not having a go at you, I have just seen the other side of the coin and it just shocked me in terms of the percentage of people who had gratuities removed. I will say that you are correct and it does depend on service, I can imagine that you have come across rude staff as i have experienced rude guests (some have asked me to speak proper English which made me laugh, considering i'm from England and the mentioned person said "Yo dawg!", very English lol)
Anyway, like you said the topic digressed and apologies if you thought I was having a go, just have fun everyone and happy cruising, see you on a ship somewhere
Old 03-28-2006, 05:38 PM

DJ - have no fear! No offense was ever taken, no offense was ever intended. You made valid points. Everyone did! I just added my .02 in.

There are far too many on the ships that think they paid so they can do and say whatever they want. Losers. Don't judge all us Yanks by that!
Old 03-28-2006, 06:06 PM

don't worry i don't, same as when i say i'm from England and I get asked "where in london are you from?" I'm not from London, there's more to England then just London lol
Old 03-28-2006, 06:38 PM

Heidi,
The buffet people are included in the tipping on Carnival. As I am sure you have noticed that these people that work up in the buffet clearing tables, getting people extra drinks are the same waiters and assistant waiters from the dining rooms. Your analogy of the hotel/McDonalds doesn't apply.

Peachcrek-The waitstaff work alot longer than 4-5 hrs.

When you break down the tipping per day, and consider that is for all your meals, it is not much at all compared to what you would pay in tipping for one meal alone in a restaurant back home.

Closed Thread

Tags
account, amount, card, carnival, cruise, dining, gratuity, hierarchy, minimum, proper, room, sail, ship, sign, tipping