We have a cruise booked on July 12. I have just found that my work is sending me on a very important conference that week. I have contacted Carnival, but no one has returned my call. I just want to possibly book a cruise for a couple of weeks earlier. Has anyone had this situation occur before? Will Carnival allow me to switch bookings if I pay any price difference?
Well did you book it by travel agent or direct from carnival??
Do you have insurance?
You are in the 3 months period, so if you book directly from carnival just call like you were going to book a new cruise, after they answer asks for the same people who sell you the cruise package…
I know there are going to be $$$ penalties but not know how much.
Maybe you can postpone your trip for a few weeks after the one you have reserved because I sincerely doubt they will book you a couple of weeks earlier, is Summer many people cruise this time of year and most of the ships are full
Anyhow call them anyway maybe you are lucky….
For a July 12th sailing you're in penalty and may be in full penalty, 100% starts 14 days out on 7 day sailings. Hopefully you purchased the travel insurance. If you have the CCL insurance they will allow any reason cancellation for 80% of the cost of your cruise and allow it to be used as a future cruise credit. If you have outside insurance you'll need to read through the policy to see what coverage you have. If you have no insurance you'll in a really bad situation and will likely loose everything but the taxes which are always refundable.
Good luck with the situation and let us know how it turns out.
Did you book directly with Carnival or through a travel agent? If you booked through an agent then you need to immediately get in touch with them and let them answer your questions and make some calls to Carnival on your behalf. If you booked directly through Carnival, then call 1-800-Carnival and speak with any agent explain to them what has happened, and see what they can do for you, since you want to move the booking up a couple of weeks or back a couple of weeks, they may work with you on it. I have had similar situations in the past, its all dependant on what agent you get. If you are not happy with their answer tell them you would like to speak to the supervisor.
Hi Daisy. Carol gives excellent advice above. Call your TA or Carnival immediately, as you don't want the next phase of the penalty period to kick in. I also read through the policy description and did not see your situation as a covered reason for cancellation.
A question for Neil -- Are you certain about CCL offering an 80% refund for non-covered reasons? I know HAL and Princess offer similar provisions, yet I cannot find it in the policy description provided by Carnival, and googling the actual policy number for the policy itself didn't yield any new information.
Lisa, you're right. I know PCL has the any reason cancellation protection (I just dealt with a similar situation) and HAL did at one time but I'm not sure with their recent changes it still works that way. I called CCL to verify and the do NOT offer such a program. It has to be a medical or similar reason for the cancellation. Dealing with 27 different cruiselines and all their policies and regulations which are ever changing can be a challenge. I'm again very sorry for posting from memory instead of checking it first.
Daisy, after speaking to my favorite contact at CCL the situation doesn't look good for a positive outcome. Cruise Specialist has given you very good advice. I noticed in your original post you mentioned you contacted CCL but had not recieved a call back. If you booked through an agency they are not supposed to discuss you booking with you direct. You'll need to call your T/A. It's the axact same process, if you book direct the res agent has to go to a supervisor as they can't make decisions, they simply read what's on their screen regarding policy. Your T/A does the same thing on your behalf, calls and requests a supervisor.
I wish you the very best with your situation. Let us know how it works out.
Hi daisey, I wish you luck as well. I would not think the insurance would cover workplace demands. Carol is spot on with her advice as always. Since you are this much ahead of time they will probably work with you. They may not honor the same price but they will make an effort to help you to re-schedule. IMHO.