Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2006, 08:22 PM

How many of you find it better to not check your luggage...when boarding the ship, and also when leaving the ship. I'm reading that you get off the ship much quicker if you don't check your luggage, and to carry it on yourself means no waiting for your bags.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:28 PM

Hello. My last 3 cruises my husband and I both walked our luggage on and off. Our luggage has wheels, which makes all the difference in the world. I went straight to my room and unpacked my things. I didn't have to keep going back to my room, checking if my luggage was there yet!! I am paranoid about leaving my luggage in the hallway at night. So, I choose to carry my luggage myself. Good luck. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-16-2006, 10:30 PM

Here is a different point of view. I guess would depend on how much luggage. Some of the piers have escalators and stairs ie Port Canaveral. And when you debark, they close most of the elevators on the ship, so you have several flights of steps to carry it while waiting in line. I once did not put my luggage out on the Fantasy and was a nightmare carrying all that. Anything valuable I carry on and have never lost anything. Have also noticed on the last few cruises the Steward has been putting my luggage in the cabin for me.

I have never seen anyone messing with other people's luggage, but again I carry my money, jewelry, cameras etc in my carry on.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:58 AM

What if you can't get into your cabin right away?
Do you really want to lug the luggage to lunch and while you tour the ship?

As far as getting off....If you are in a hurry I don't see a problem with that but who wants to hurry off the ship that brought so much joy.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:06 AM

Well, Lil' Lori and IslandCruz, I appreciate the input! I, of course would never put any valuables into my luggage, but the idea of being in total control of my things does interest me. My husband tells me that I always pack too much when we go even overnight somewhere, so I must really overpack for a cruise! So that presents a problem for us to carry our own bags, even though our luggage has wheels also. The garment bag would be a problem perhaps, but then, aren't there porters to actually help with out bags? I don't mind the extra tipping for the help.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:08 AM

Excuse my grammar, what I meant to say is this. Aren't there porters available to help passengers with their carry ons?
Old 09-17-2006, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by annies:
Excuse my grammar, what I meant to say is this. Aren't there porters available to help passengers with their carry ons?
I imagine if you tipped enough a porter would help you into the terminal. But at some point (probably the security checkpoint) you would have to wave bye bye and take control of your carry-ons. Porters are not allowed on the ship, so you also have to consider how you are going to get an excessive number of carryons off the ship and into the customs area - which is where you will see your first porter.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:40 AM

Ok Dave56...that is one question answered....the porter is not allowed on the ship! He won't do me too much good then! Thanks!
Old 09-17-2006, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Porters are on the pier. They take your big baggage and put it in transfer bins so they can move it to the ship. This is essentially mandatory and they do expect a tip for this.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:49 AM

We travel light, one roll on suitcase per person. So it was easy for us to take the luggage from our room and get off of the boat. When we boarded in Galveston in December 2006 we did not have an option to carry it to our room, only off of the ship. 90% of the passengers were either from Houston and Dallas and all of them wanted to get off the ship ASAP -- so there were many of us taking our own luggage off. We had to get off early to get a taxi, since RCCL didn't offer transportation to Hobby Airport and we wanted to get to the airport ASAP so we could get an earlier flight to Atlanta. (God was looking after us, we got an earlier flight and a terrible storm came in and would of delayed our original flight for hours.)

Remember when disembarking with luggage: there are many people with the same idea and getting on an elevator is almost impossible, especially with luggage. So you will have to carry the luggage up or down the stairs. If you are not in good health and not travelling light, I do not recommend it.

We are taking a RCCL in January, so I am thrilled we will have the option to carry it on. It is a lot easier taking luggage downhill then uphill and it will depend on how far I have to carry it. But it is nice to know I will have the option. I forgot about it our son is traveling with us -- he is strong enough to carry my bag too.

Closed Thread

Tags
bags, carnival, carry, check, cruise, good, hallway, leaving, luggage