Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 01:04 PM

We're going on the Conquest 12-9-07-Wedding combined with family cruise. My husband wants to know if they have tours or can you request a tour of the engine room. He loves engines of all kinds and types and to him the best fun would be to see how all this works.
Thanks
Old 04-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Engine room tours are mostly a thing of the past. Security and safety reasons mostly. He might get a tour if he finds an engineering officer who is amiable, but these things are rare.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Dave is right--it's not easy, but it can be done.
I have seen the following technique work many times: find the late-night spot where the officers congregate, usually the disco; find a low level engineering officer who is not in deep conversation with a cute Jr. Asst. Purser, if you can, and strike up a conversation and buy him a drink. Show him you are really interested in his engines and you actually know something about them; he will be flattered by the attention and anxious to show that, even though a low level officer, he has the authority to take you on a tour. But don't ask--keep talking until he suggests it--it has to be his idea. This could take 2-3 drinks so be patient.

If you can't find a low level engineering officer strike up a conversation with a cute Jr. Asst. Purser.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:46 PM

f-mattox, now that is an interesting idea. They certainly do gather in the disco often. I just hope with the language barrier, and 2-3 drinks being bought they are on the same page about the pistons etc

Seriously, they don't even have the bridge tours anymore. I may try to ask an officer this time, as they are friendly as you elluded to

I ran into the F&B Officer in the disco one night on the Holiday and told him what a good job an apprentice bartender/deck waiter named Valor was doing.

On the Cozumel deck party night he came up to inspect the goings on and saw me at the bar when he walked behind it. He said hi to me, and asked what we were drinking, he said something to the bartender that was substituting for the regular one and pointed at us. Bartender served us a bucket of beer and was told it was from the F&B Officer. Another true story.

Is a good point f-mattox makes, the Officers have very little contact with guests and apparently don't mind you saying hi.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, conquest, cruise, cruises, engin, engine, engines, location, plans, room, ship, spirit, tour, tours, type