Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2005, 08:59 AM

I'm new here. I've never been on a cruise before. My mother in law has booked our entire family (12 of us) on the Carnival Glory leaving June 4th to the W. Caribbean. I'm sure excited, but overwhelmed!

Our little family is 4 - my, husband, 4 year old daughter and baby boy who will be about 9 months at the time.

Would you let your 4 year old participate in the cruise kid camp programs? Basically, I mean, is it safe? Are the people good?

Any tips for travelling with the baby? Should I bring a stroller for excursions? I read that you could rent them, but it didn't say what kind or how much?

What about sleeping arrangments? Can all 4 of us sleep in one room? The baby sleeps in my bed. (OK, so does the 4 year old, but she doesn't need to!) We won't need a crib or anything.

Are there tubs for baths? Or just showers?

Can we buy walky-talky type things at Target and use them for our family?

OK - I'm sure I'll have about 100 more questions, at least!

Thank you in advance,
Nancy

(This message has been moved from the General Cruise Chat forum to the Carnival forum by a moderator)

first cruise - June 4th - Carnival Glory
Old 02-17-2005, 08:59 AM

I'm new here. I've never been on a cruise before. My mother in law has booked our entire family (12 of us) on the Carnival Glory leaving June 4th to the W. Caribbean. I'm sure excited, but overwhelmed!

Our little family is 4 - my, husband, 4 year old daughter and baby boy who will be about 9 months at the time.

Would you let your 4 year old participate in the cruise kid camp programs? Basically, I mean, is it safe? Are the people good?

Any tips for travelling with the baby? Should I bring a stroller for excursions? I read that you could rent them, but it didn't say what kind or how much?

What about sleeping arrangments? Can all 4 of us sleep in one room? The baby sleeps in my bed. (OK, so does the 4 year old, but she doesn't need to!) We won't need a crib or anything.

Are there tubs for baths? Or just showers?

Can we buy walky-talky type things at Target and use them for our family?

OK - I'm sure I'll have about 100 more questions, at least!

Thank you in advance,
Nancy

(This message has been moved from the General Cruise Chat forum to the Carnival forum by a moderator)

first cruise - June 4th - Carnival Glory
Old 02-17-2005, 06:41 PM

Nancy:
Lucky you, to have a mother-in-law book a cruise for your family! You might want to pose your question on the Carnival specific chat. Perhaps those who have been on Carnival Glory will see your questions and respond specifically to that ship and kids program. When watching the kids on the cruises I've been on, they seem to be really happy, and the entertainment staff running the program seem to be really good when dealing with the kids. Yes, walkie talkies are a great way to keep in touch with others, however they may not work from all areas, or all distances on larger ships. It's better than nothing. I'd get the type with at least a 5 mile range. I guess it depends on your accomodations, whether or not you get a bath. I've been on Outside cabins (not balcony) and had showers. Have a great cruise! There are some other great web sites with recommended lists of things to consider packing. Keyword search: cruise packing list.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:21 PM

Nancy,
Welcome to cruise-chat. I am sure your 4 yr. old will love the children's program and it is quite safe. Most of the youth staff have gotten education degrees or have a similar background.

If it is not too inconvenient, I would suggest you bring your own stroller. You know what kind of condition it is in and your child is probably already quite comfortable in it.

Based on the ages of your children, one cabin is sufficient. If you have requested a triple or quad cabin, it will either have a convertible sofa or a pull down upper berth for your 4 yr. old.

Unless you have booked a suite, you will not have a bathtub in your stateroom.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-21-2005, 11:10 AM

NancyM

As enjoyable a cruise on Carnival is, with the finest kids counselors around, pay particular attention to your daughters input. It is far too easy to forget her when you are having the time of your life, especially with 12 other family members. You may need to spend a little more time with her, to help her feel comfortable. The formidable years will determine if she will want to go on future cruises.

DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY!

David
Old 02-22-2005, 07:43 AM

Nancy
I received a letter from my good friend, Alan Fox over at VacationsAtSea. The letter was pertaining to children on cruises. I will share a portion of that letter for you.

The cruise lines that are best for the youngest children are also best for kids of all ages, through the teen years. Carnival offers a full slate of activities onboard and youth counselors who are good at getting everyone involved and helping kids make friends. Talent shows, face painting, jewelry making, scavenger hunts and ping-pong tournaments are among the popular activities offered.
Some children may not wish to participate in the kidsí programs, and may prefer to stay near their parents. We always took our son to the kidsí area at the beginning of each cruise, met the counselors and stayed a while to play some games, to help him feel at home.
Nevertheless, until he turned 10 or 11, he was only an occasional participant in kidsí planned programs, by his own choice, and we never insisted that he join. Since that time, heís spent more onboard time with new friends and in planned youth activities than he has with his parents.
In contrast, my 5-year-old niece couldnít wait to get to the kidsí area on her Princess cruise last summer, and fussed at her parents whenever they came to pick her up.
Whether or not you make use of the kidsí programs, here are a few suggestions for cruising with kids between the ages of 7 and 12:
#1 Find the shipís ďfun placesĒ The sooner your child feels at home on a cruise ship, the better, so drop that carry-on in the room when you board and start your fun-seeking tour right away.
#2 Help your child find a friend Since most kids are shy meeting new kids in an unfamiliar environment, itís often up to the parents to seek out the parents of other kids and make introductions. Then itís as simple as inviting the new friend to play ping-pong or shuffleboard, to break the ice. We did that several times for our son, and found the other parents were as relieved as we were to have found a buddy for their child to play with.
#3 Buy or rent Walkie-Talkies At some time during this age range, you may want to experiment with Walkie-Talkies onboard. Some ships have them available for rent, or you can buy and bring your own.
On a day at sea, when your child wants to play ping-pong for 4 hours in a row, you may not feel compelled to stay and watch if you can check in frequently from elsewhere on the ship. Of course, the age at which a child can or should be allowed to roam varies, and itís up to parents to decide whether a child has earned a bit of unsupervised freedom and can enjoy it without infringing on the enjoyment of others.
#4 Try to see it their way You never know what might strike a kidís fancy, but in this age range, it might be something as simple as beds that fold down from the walls, checking out videos and DVDs to watch in bed at night, or ordering from the adult menu at dinner.
On the flip side, you might be surprised at what would worry your child. One possibility is the lifeboat drill. Imagine being 7 years old, out at sea, watching your parents put on life jackets and march to the life boats for instructions. Make sure your child knows itís just a thing that happens on all ships, and make the pre-drill preparation in the room fun. I always pretended that I could not figure out how to get my life jacket on. (At least I claimed I was pretending.)
Cruises arenít just the most enjoyable vacations for families with kids, they are also a terrific learning experience. Itís one thing to learn about the world in a geography class, and quite a better thing to step foot on the soil of a new country and experience first hand what is different, and what is the same.
Parents can influence what is learned by selecting the itinerary and shore excursions. Snorkeling the crystal clear, blue water of the Caribbean brings your child face-to-face with an amazing undersea world. Hiking, sea-kayaking or fishing in Alaska immerses your child in nature that is awe-inspiring and pristine. Port calls in the Mediterranean, the British Isles or Northern Europe may seem like an endless procession of old museums, churches and castles to a 10-year-old, but that visit will bring the history books to life when he or she returns to class.
I appreciate all the e-mails I received after my earlier newsletter, from parents who had their own favorite stories to share about cruising with kids. I heard from one mom who brought a magnetic dart game for her two little boys to play in the cabin, only to find that since the walls were metal, the darts stuck to just about everything in the room. The boys are grown now, and the mother is a grandmother, but the memory still brings a smile to their faces.

Hope this helps!

David Landry

Closed Thread

Tags
4yr, berth, cabin, cruise, upper