Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 09:40 AM

Planning a Western Cruise for myself and 3 dive buddies. Carnival works itinerary and dates work well. I have never cruised Carnival, we do not expect much our priority is to dive at all Ports of call. It is a "Guy" trip we are all middle aged. Also I understand the ship does use Tenders at some Port of calls? Can somebody advise me which Ports they do dock or do not? Cayman Island,Belize,Roatan,Cozumel. Thanks it is important since I will be booking our dive trips and not booking through the cruise line. I am well aware that we will not be given priority trying to leave the ship.

Thanks for the responses
Old 07-14-2009, 09:40 AM

Planning a Western Cruise for myself and 3 dive buddies. Carnival works itinerary and dates work well. I have never cruised Carnival, we do not expect much our priority is to dive at all Ports of call. It is a "Guy" trip we are all middle aged. Also I understand the ship does use Tenders at some Port of calls? Can somebody advise me which Ports they do dock or do not? Cayman Island,Belize,Roatan,Cozumel. Thanks it is important since I will be booking our dive trips and not booking through the cruise line. I am well aware that we will not be given priority trying to leave the ship.

Thanks for the responses
Old 07-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Carnival offers a fine cruise, so if you do not expect much you will be quite surprised.

Roatan has room for one ship at the dock. So it depends on whether you will be the only ship there. Cozumel is docked. Belize is tendering although they are working on a pier which is supposed to be done later this year or early next year. Not sure of the status. Grand Cayman is tendering.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:31 PM

If its a dive cruise, I would recommend the Valor itinerary. each stop is a diver's paradise. The Belize dive excursions pick you up right from the ship so you don't have to worry about tendering there anyway. The same might be true of Grand Cayman but I don't remember.

If you have never sailed on Carnival before you will probably be impressed with the "bang for your buck" you will get.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 07-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Banned

Definately the Valor...but remember that if the seas get rough....tendering into Grand Cayman may not happen.

Belize has excellent diving. I have a friend that flies down to Belize once a year to dive for a week.

Roatan...double check how long we are in port.

Cozumel...as easy port to do anything.

We will be on the Valor September 27th!! woo hoo
Old 07-15-2009, 07:17 AM

For diving, this is just my opinion but, here are my favorite dive spots:
1. Champagne Reef-Dominica
2. BonAire
3. Belize
4. Roatan
5. La Romana
6. St. John
7. Grand Turk
8. Cozumel (Xel-ha for snorkeling)
9. Tortolla
10. Grenada

Since most of these ports aren't your options, the itinerary with Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel would be the best one for diving. Carnival is a fantastic value. They have some of the nicest ships on the sea, their crews are great, food is really good-especially the chocolate melting cake, and loads of good entertainment.

If you're going to book your dives independently, be sure to give yourself enough time to get back to the ship. They will not wait for you. I don't believe they will let you take your tanks either, so check with them to make sure. Best wishes!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:15 AM

Belize and Grand Cayman are always tender ports. If you do not expect much, get ready to be wowed!

The Valor has had some enhancements that the Glory is still awaiting. Nothing significant enough to make a difference in this case.

You are correct, unless you are a VIP you'll not be given priority tender/port debarkation service for excursions not booked through the cruise line.

However, it never hurts to ask nicely at the Guest Services Desk and explain the circumstance. Sometimes it's all in the way you ask. They'll go out of their way to accommodate special requests if they can.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cayman, cruise, cruises, dock, docking, glory, grand, la, location, roman, ship, tender, v, valor, valorglory