Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 02:04 PM

My family cruises on the Carnival Victory July 17, 2009. I would appreciate comments on the ship and especially the shore excursions that feature snorkeling.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:04 PM

My family cruises on the Carnival Victory July 17, 2009. I would appreciate comments on the ship and especially the shore excursions that feature snorkeling.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:49 PM

Welcome to cruise chat carrie! I will be sailing a month earlier than you, but you would have to wait a bit for my comments. I have sailed on the Victory before and shes a goo ship. The deck plan layout can be a bit confusing, but you can quickly get used to it.

For shore excursions, check out our Caribbean Port section, I have a topic in there about tours/ports for the southern Caribbean and there are some ideas there. I will report back early July which should give you enough time to book anything.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 06-07-2009, 05:59 PM

We cruised on the Victory May 10-17, 09 and I thought the ship was in good shape. We did the St John/Trunk Bay snorkel and it was pretty good. They have a snorkel trail that you can follow and it tells about the different fish you might to see. Some people we were with did a snorkel tour in Barbados and said it was great...but I'm not sure which one it was.

This is a very tiring cruise...but it was great.

FUTURE CRUISES:

Carnival Dream .......... April 30, 2011

PAST CRUISES:

Carnival Victory .......... May 09
Carnival Destiny .......... Oct 07
Carnival Fascination ..... Jun 97
Carnival Fascination ..... May 00
Carnival Carnivale ........ May 86
Old 06-07-2009, 08:45 PM

Hi DakotaBee, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

In order for your cruise ticker to work here it has to be the BB code option on the ticker site. The instructions are posted here.

Welcome aboard,

Dwayne
Old 06-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the comment on the St John/Trunk Bay snorkel trip. I had read a little about it and was wondering if it would live up to the hype. Chat rooms are great for giving a reality check against the public relations puffery.

My husband and I are traveling with his daughter and her husband and daughter. We all love snorkeling.

She had taken a lot of cruises and recommended that we not sign up for any shore excursions from Carnival until the last minute or the day before we hit that island in case we were sick or the weather was awful.

Today I found out that unfortunately, this advice has backfired evidently as Carnival has removed a large number of snorkel trips from the shore excursion web page. They must have filled those excursions. So I'll be learning all about chat rooms and internet research as I scramble to make reservations with private snorkeling companies on each of the islands.

Thanks for the info and the welcome.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:19 PM

Thank you for the welcome. This chat room is a life saver. My stepdaughter and her family are traveling with my husband and me.

Since she's experienced with cruises and we're not (unless you count my husband's lovely cruises on the Navy's carrier the Midway), we followed her advice to wait until the last minute to make shore excursions with Carnival.

Now we find that our choices for possible snorkeling excursions have disappeared off their website and I'm assuming that those trips are full.

Your recommendation to check out the chat room's Caribbean Port section was invaluable. I'll be using these comments as a jumping off point for more research on private snorkeling outfits and I'm looking forward to hearing from you again.

My stepdaughter wants to be snorkeling at every island as soon as Victory starts rattling her anchor chains. Maybe she's got an exaggerated idea of a possible inheritance.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:48 AM
^^^^
Not necessarily
As I remember form my last cruise in Carnival Destiny the excursions were not available until a few weeks before my cruise, I guess two weeks before or something like that, main problem was I was trying to book them and that was my guess also so maybe is a good choice to call carnival to find out what is happening
any way I live on Puerto Rico and had been in that route three times if you want any info on the islands please let me know...but call carnival just in case I prefer to book directly from the cruise company than from private tour companies.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:19 AM

quote:
Now we find that our choices for possible snorkeling excursions have disappeared off their website and I'm assuming that those trips are full.

Cruise lines usually don't allow their excursions to be sold out via online sales. They save some places for booking on the ship. You will need to decide if you want to wait to board the ship, to see if the excursions are still available, or if you want to make alternate arrangements.

Sandy
Old 06-08-2009, 07:23 AM

Hi Carrie Turner, welcome to Cruise-Chat. We've lost out on a few excursions on Princess by not booking on-line, but in most ports you can find excursions on your own. Trunk Bay is very doable on your own, and they do have some catamaran sail/snorkels that will take you to Trunk Bay or Honeymoon Bay in St. John. If you have any questions after looking through the Caribbean Port Chat section, please don't hesitate to ask. We'll try our best to answer. Best wishes for a fantastic cruise, and once again welcome aboard!

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, comments, cruise, cruises, excursion, excursions, recommendations, review, reviews, shore, signing, southern, tips, victory