Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007, 01:12 PM

The amount ($200.00 for 7 day trip) you pay upon boarding the ship, is it per person. Example: 3 people in room = $600.00 or $200.00.
Double room =$400.00 or @200.00

Thanks
Old 08-30-2007, 01:21 PM
If you are referring to the automatic gratuities, it is $10.00 per person per day, or $210.00 for a seven day cruise for three people.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:25 PM

Assuming you are referring to the automatic tip amounts. You don't actually pay them before getting onto the ship. But they are billed to your on-board account (Your sign and sail account) this first day. The auto tip is $10 per person per day. So $70 per person for a 7 day cruise or $210 for 3 people. You may add or subtract from that amount as you see fit.

IF you are planning on depositing cash for your sign and sail account instead of providing a credit card, them you will be asked for enough to at least cover the auto tip amount because otherwise you would have reached your account limit as soon as they entered the tip charge. If you deposit cash for the account you will be asked to come add more at the purser's desk when you have used up the deposit. I find it easier to just use a credit card and then pay the balance on the last day so no charge is sent to the credit card company.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-30-2007, 02:54 PM

Hi retired, The amount to secure the Sail & Sign account is per person. It is exactly as the example in your question for a 7 day cruise.

Dwayne
Old 08-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Banned

Gratuities is $10 per person per day.

Sail & Sign is as follows:
2-4 day cruises: $100 deposit per person
5-8 day cruises: $200 dep. pp
9+ day cruises: $350 dep. pp

Beverages and 15% tips to bartender go on this card. There are other items you may charge to your account. If you get too close to your deposit, you will be notified to put up more money for deposit. If you do not use the entire deposit, you will be refunded the amount not used at the end of the cruise. You will receive a record of charges in your stateroom the evening before the day of debarkation.
For full details from Carnival, read this.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:56 PM

I was told that you could go to the desk and ask that the charges for tipping be taken off and that you would tip according to the service at the end of the trip. Does anyone else know about this?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Banned

What is the tipping policy onboard?

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Purser’s Information desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

The above is from Carnival's website. This information is found on FAQs within the website. You can access it from the home page. At your fingertips.

These are minimal tips these people should receive for doing an average job. If they are aweful, you can complain and take tip away. If they are good or better, people usually tip them with cash individually in addition to the amount already distributed. They know if you prepaid tips, and they appreciate more for excellent service.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by livetotravel:
I was told that you could go to the desk and ask that the charges for tipping be taken off and that you would tip according to the service at the end of the trip. Does anyone else know about this?
You can do that but they earn every cent you tip. We always tip the $10.00 a day plus extra.
$5.50 a day for meal tips is nothing. You can not go out for 3 meals (unless it is fast food) and tip less that that.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:22 PM

Yes, you can adjust the gratuities. I do it all the time. You don't have to complain to have them adjusted. I leave my Steward and the General grats on the account. I remove the Dining and tip them seperately with cash. I always give everyone extra.

Dwayne
Old 08-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Hi Dwayne; I'm just curious why you would auto-tip some and tip others directly. It seems like that complicates it so I'm sure you have a reason, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Rick

Closed Thread