Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   ROLL CALL "Inspiration" Oct 6th Tampa (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/12767-roll-call-inspiration-oct-6th-tampa.html)

TomTampa 05-12-2005 03:29 PM

If anyone else is on this cruise and would like to meet and say hello, leave a message here OR email me at TomTampaBay@Yahoo.com

Tom

1988 Mardi Gras
1989 Veracruz
199O Mardi Gras
1993 Fantasy
1996 Ecstasy
1998 Tropicale
2OOO Imagination
2OO1 Jubilee
2OO2 Jubilee
2OO3 Sensation
2OO4 Destiny
2OO4 Sensation
2OO5 Splendour of the seas
2OO5 Inspiration

BeachBunny 05-14-2005 12:06 PM

Hi Tom,
Wish I was going - That is over my birthday.
Sally

thomas stanton 05-15-2005 09:34 AM

Tom
How did you like the Vera Cruz? We went on that back in the mid 80's also. What ever happened to it?Just curious.
Tom

TomTampa 05-15-2005 06:09 PM

I wish I knew what happened to her.. I remember the Vera Cruz being much smaller than the bigger ships today, but I still had a GREAT time.

I was just on the Inspiration last month.. The Brasserie restaurant and Inspiratation Blvd were probably the ugliest design I had EVER seen.. LOL In all honest, I could care less what it looks like, I still LOVE the ride down to the carribbean and back. Going again Oct 6th out of Tampa, to Cozumel. This will be my first time to cruise single. I'm really looking forward to it.

Tom

05-15-2005 08:38 PM

Built in 1957, she was one of four sister ships built as a joint venture between West Germany and Israel. She sailed for Bermuda Star Lines as the Veracruz 1, next to Veracruz Primero, then the Veracruz. But in 1991, having been sold to new owners in Greece, she was undergoing a complete rebuild. On October 24, 1991, she caught fire, burned out, and by then, overloaded with firefighters' water, capsized.

Of the four ships built, The Jerusalem was sold to Bremuda Star Lines also, named The Miami, then the New Bajhama Star before going on to become the Carnivale, Carnival's first cruise ship.

David Landry

thomas stanton 05-16-2005 01:05 PM

David
Very interesting, I appreciate the info. What happened to the Premier cruise line ship's? I know that the Seabreeze sunk off the coast of the Carolina's a couple years back. I never did hear what happened to the rest of them. Did you know that Carival had bought out Premier Cruise Lines prior to them having all thier financial problems?Thanks again for the info.
Tom

Karen Knowlton 05-16-2005 03:19 PM

I think I had heard that the Oceanic (the Big Red Boat) had been sold to the breakers (i.e. for scrap) last year. Raoul would probably know; he seems to be up on this stuff!

05-16-2005 03:39 PM

The Oceanic, or Big Red Boat II was sent to India and scrapped in early 2005. She was built for liner service between Italy and South America as EUGENIO C. Converted for cruising to keep her from the breakers yard, the ship assumed the name EUGENIO COSTA. She was sold to the Bremen Vulkan shipyard in part exchange for the COSTA VICTORIA. Sold to Castle Cruising as EDINBURGH CASTLE, the vessel was plagued with problems and her owners went into liquidation. She was then sold to Cammell Laird and subsequently chartered to Premier Cruises. She was laid up in the Bahamas following the collapse of her operator.

David Landry

Raoul Fiebig 05-16-2005 05:13 PM

Hello everybody,

the "Oceanic" has not been sold for scrap. She continues to operate weekly cruises in the Mediterranean for her owners, Pullmantur Cruises of Spain. "Oceanic" is a very popular ship on the Spanish market, and Pullmantur recently invested quite a lot of money into upgrading her.

David, you're mixing up "Oceanic" and "Eugenio C", which are two different ships built for two different companies, even though their general hull design is identical ("Oceanic" is somewhat longer, however).

The former "Eugenio C" later "The Big Red Boat II" was sold for scrap earlier this year and is currently enroute to India or Bangladesh for demolition. However, due to a sudden decrease in steel prices, she is currently moving very slowly as her current owners, cash merchants, hope that steel prices will increase again so that they can sell to a scrapyard for a profit.

As far as Premier Cruises' other ships at the time of their demise are concerned, none of them with the exception of "Oceanic" are in active service any longer.

"SeaBreeze": sunk
"The Big Red Boat III" ("IslandBreeze"): scrapped in India
"SeaWind Crown": scrapped in China
"Rembrandt": to become a floating hotel in Rotterdam, currently in Gibraltar for asbestos removal

And David: Carnival's first ship was the "Mardi Gras", which was built for Canada Pacific as the "Empress of Canada". She was scrapped in India in 2003. "Carnivale" was also built for Canada Pacific as the "Empress of Britain". Today, she sails regular around-the-world cruises for Japanese organization Peace Boat, bearing the name "The Topaz".

05-16-2005 05:50 PM

In actuality, I took the Oceanic/Big Red Boat comment from the above poster, Karen.