Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2006, 10:43 AM

When Travleing On a cruise going to couzmel and cayman we have diffrent last namescalled carniel several times said it was fine with out a letter. Impossible for us to get a letter. what do i do?
Old 01-15-2006, 11:01 AM

Your question is very confusing. Who is "we" Mother and child? If it is a parent traveling with a child and names are different due to divorce you better have a letter from the father, unless you have full custody. If that is the case then I would carry the divorce papers.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:34 AM

[quote]Originally posted by IslandBabe:
When Travleing On a cruise going to couzmel and cayman. Myself (mother) and my daughter age 13.We have diffrent last names. Never married her father. Impossible to get a letter as we have not heard or seen him since she was born and he also lives in another country (Canada). I have contacted Carnival several times they say they dont require a letter. Please help
Old 01-15-2006, 12:32 PM

I posted this same thing in a different place, but got no response. Thought I'd try here as well.

What if you are traveling with children whose last name is different? I have remarried and my children still have my ex-husband's last name. Will it be okay if I just bring my marriage license? Or do I need a notarized letter from him? (YIKES! He will make my life horrible just for asking!)

Thanks,
Old 01-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Here is what I believe you need to do.....

I assume everyone's children still have the last names listed on their birth certificates? If so, then just bring the birth certificates and make sure the booking names match those on the birth certificates. If you don't have passports for the kids then you'll need the birth certificates anyway.

As for kids whose parents have divorced - you will need the court documents that grant you sole custody or a letter from the father granting approval for leaving the country (if you have joint custody).

The U.S. Passport Office lists many of the requirements for minors age 14 and under.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:53 PM

Thanks, Dave! I appreciate your help more than you know.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:54 PM

Last March we traveled with two teenagers that my younger kids are very close to. Carnival said we had to have a letter from their mother, if they were under 18 and we did not have custody. If you have custody you just need those papers.
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 01-16-2006, 05:05 PM

We were in same boat in Dec., travelled by car to Buffalo airport from Canada. Had my two step kids, (there dads name, ) my child, (my name) my new wife (her maiden name, changed back after deforce) Thats 3, and mother in law, for 4 names . All had passports, they were the main piece and always seemed to be what they wanted to see. At U.S. border my wife sat with a binder with all documents,(originals) ready and we weren't asked for them there, nor at airport,cruise terminal, only did we have to show picture ID when re boarding in Mex. and used passports, there and at border. They did raise eyebrows but no questions. We did have notarized letter $25 ca. stating how and where , all countries we were going signed by dad, devorce, marrige, birth certificates. Almost extra baggage charge.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:43 AM

My daughter has a different last name than I do. We have been on 10 cruises and they have never asked for any signed papers. Just her birth certificate.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-17-2006, 03:05 PM

Island Babe,
Why chance it? Have the proper paperwork with you. Just because an agent did not do their job properly in the past doesn't mean you won't get an agent who does. I am leaving on the Fascination in a couple weeks. I will quote you what the documents say. Quote: "When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an origianl signed letter from the absent parent/guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico." Unquote.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, child, children, cruise, cruising, custody, debarking, divorce, documents, letter, line, mexico, names, norwegian, notarized, passport, required, traveling