Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2005, 04:35 AM

Hey guys,
Just looked at the port new orleans web cam, and the Conquest isnt there. Are they delayed because of the hurricane? Also, will the terminal stand up to a cat.5 hurricane? Im booked on Sept 11th, so you can understand my concern.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:02 AM

Tony&Jackie,

the Port of New Orleans has been closed to all traffic due to Hurricane Katrina.

The following information has been posted on the Carnival web site:

Quote:
Due to the closure of the entrance to the Mississippi river by local officials, The Carnival Conquest August 21, 2005 cruise will return to Galveston, Texas on August 28, 2005. The ship will stay in Galveston until Monday at 12:00 noon. Guests can debark either Sunday or Monday and take air or land transportation back home. All in-coming access into New Orleans and the Port is now closed due to the evacuation process. Guests that parked at the pier in New Orleans will not be able to access their cars until the storm passes and there is a complete assessment of the area. The Port of New Orleans hotline (1-866-476-7866) will provide updated information about access to the port area as it becomes available.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 08-28-2005, 05:07 AM

Raoul,
Does Carnival pay for those people to get back? Also, if there is a hurricane approaching when i get ready to take my cruise on Sept 11th, will they refund my money?

Man, that would suck being in Galveston and having your car in N.O.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:18 AM

I read on another board that Carnival is offering the Conquest passengers that were diverted to Galveston, a $200 shipboard credit per person that will help defray their additional travel expenses due to the diversion. Of course if your car is at the port, it may be under water and you may not be able to get into the port of NOLA for a while, what a headache. If you have travel insurance, read your policy to see if you can cancel due to an impending hurricane. Carnival does reserve the right to change itineraries due to weather. They may not necessarily cancel a cruise due to a hurricane, but merely adjust their itineraries.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:08 AM

Will we have to get on in Galveston? Also, are the people who are supposed to cruise today getting on in Galveston?
Old 08-28-2005, 07:15 AM

The Conquest is going into dry dock for routine maintenance after these passengers debark. It will be back in NOLA for your boarding. You're the first cruise after maintenance, you should get sparkly clean carpet etc. Don't stress, I know it's difficult, but I think you'll be ok.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:37 AM

I'm reading on other boards that if Katrina hits NOLA, the port may be closed for a while. Make sure you read the Carnival weather and port updates to determine if your port has changed.
http://www.carnival.com/CMS/static_t...er_update.aspx
Old 08-28-2005, 10:28 AM

Man O Man that really would suck being on the Conquest today

Can only hope that something like this does not happen to us on our Oct 17th return (especially since we are driving to the port!
Old 08-28-2005, 10:31 AM

We're driving to the port as well in November, we can only pray that NOLA doesn't take a direct hit with 20-25 foot storm surge or we'll be driving to a different port.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:33 AM

Thank GOD this didn't happen to me with four kids last week. I don't even want to think about plane fare, etc. I never thought of the obvious when I booked an August cruise.

Hope everything turns out okay for everyone.

Carla

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, conquest, port