Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 09:24 AM

im leaving out of new orleans to cozmel. i seen where so people had to get p/ports , i was told by the carnival people at the 1-800 # that we didnt need them ? is this true , i need to know !if i do i wont get them in time , how long if i need them will it take ,? tell me we dont need them ??
Old 11-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Administrator

You will not need them until 2008 for cruises. Look at this website for the details.

If you are leaving on November 23rd, you will need a photo ID (driver's license) and a certified birth certificate (one with some sort of official seal or stamp on it from a government official or agency - notarized is not good enough).
Old 11-07-2006, 09:49 AM

Passports are not required this year, and from what I've read will not be required for cruises until June, 2009. However, I would get one as soon as you can. It makes travel much easier and you wont have to worry until it expires. For travel this year, you need your birth certificate and a driver's license or valid picture (government issued) id. It took our passport office about 4 weeks to get ours back to us. Avoid the rush and do it as soon as you can. Have a wonderful cruise!!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:50 AM

i don't know about the states however in Canada if you go to a government pasport agency in your city then it takes about 10 days. As far as needing one I would call back a few times getting ahold of a few different people so that you have different opinions. It has been my experiance that you should always travel with a passport though. drivers licence and birth cert they can may argue with however they can never say anything about a valid passport.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:55 AM

thanks we sailed a year an half ago , to the same place. we had id and b/cer. i dont know if they had the stamp on them ill have to check.i booked yesterday pretty late. only 18 days left.i was going to go out west to pet. forest ,metor crater,sedona,grand canyon,mesa verda,then to vail co. all in 6 days. driving 4500 miles total.i was going to spead friend ashes at all the stops.she passes away after long battle with cancer.me and my wife though that was alot of ground to cover in short amout of time , so we decide on this cruise at the last minute. we are bring some of her ashes on the cruise to spread in the gulf and at mexico. before she passed , she went on a cruise to coz/carmon. so i think she will like it there.this trip deicated to her.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:11 AM

If there is a married woman in your party, or anyone who has changed their name, he/she may be asked to show a certified marriage certificate or name change document, if the names on the birth certificate and photo ID are not the same. It's rarely asked for, but has happened.

I agree with Penny and others who have said it's a good idea to get a passport anyway. The official timeframe between application and receipt of the passport is 6-8 weeks, and it generally now seems to be taking at least 4 weeks. If your departure is soon, make sure you have the official birth/name change certificates (hospital birth certificates are not acceptable, nor are xerox copies); otherwise, I recommend that you spring for the passports.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:13 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Gary (I missed your last post when I was writing my first reply). Very loving gesture you are giving, and I hope she is pleased with your choices of locations!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen Knowlton:
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Gary (I missed your last post when I was writing my first reply). Very loving gesture you are giving, and I hope she is pleased with your choices of locations!
thanks karen,she will like it there, im going to go to the other places to for her also , my wife dont have enough time off from work to make the trip and time allowing.so we booked this cruise. im not working at the moment.she was my wife best friend , i new her for 18 years too. she was my friend too. we both love her dearly.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:13 AM

I read somewhere that starting January 2007 a passport is needed. I got one for my cruise earlier this year thinking that is when it started. It works out better for me to have a passport than a birth certificate as mine is tearing up and the hospital is no longer around. It took about 3 weeks to get and cost me 90. Going on Freedom in October 2007 so I have to take a plane so the passport will be used. have a great week
Old 11-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by pandaruth27:
I read somewhere that starting January 2007 a passport is needed.
That has been pushed back at least another year.

Closed Thread