Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2007, 11:05 PM

Wondering what people use for sea sickness and if young children are more/less likely to get sea sick. Is there anything that I can give my 1 1/2yo if needed?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:40 AM

For adults most people use Bonine or a cousin of it. They all pretty much have the same ingredient. I would consult a pediatrician for babies.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:03 AM
Banned

Kellymo, Islandcruz is 100% correct. PLEASE speak with your pediatrician before administering any drugs to your 1 1/2 year old. A'ndrea
Old 05-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Banned

Definately need expert advice on this!!

Have a great cruise.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:01 PM

I will definitely ask the pediatrician however I work with doctors and know they don't always know what is best so I thought I would ask if anyone has already used something with a toddler
Old 05-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Banned

Kellymo, I agree with you that the pediatrician isn't always the most knowledgeable person to seek advice from. They usually write the script and send you off on your merry way.
I have found my pharmacist is invaluable to me when it comes to medications with drug interactions and so forth. It's amazing to me how much they know. More so than my own doctor. If you go to a reputable pharmacy, check with them. I'm betting he/she will give you some sound advice regarding this topic.
A'ndrea
Old 05-02-2007, 05:01 PM

My wife uses the transderm-v patch which goes behind your ear for three days. (scopolamine)
It works great. my Kids have never had a problem. I make sure my tummy is coated with beer!
My guess is the wee one will not even notice.

Cheers

Daddy
Old 05-03-2007, 11:05 AM

Hi Kelly....the PA stands for Physician Assistant. I have NEVER seen a kid on a cruise even remotely sea sick! They're too busy eating the 24 hour a day pizza and ice cream. Most sea sickness medicine is based on Meclizine, the main ingredient in BONINE but I wouldn't want any child on it. Some Benedryl will do the same thing and is less toxic. You feel more motion in your CAR than you do on the boat. Don't worry about it. And if by any chance something DOES happen, they have wonderful infirmaries on the boat.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Green apples. Seriously. A crew member told me about them years ago when I was cruising while pregnant and couldn't take any meds. It worked like a charm then, and several times since. They're free, plentiful on ships, and have no side effects.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:21 AM
Banned

LisaP... good to know green apples do the trick.
I've also heard some cruisers say that ginger works great. I don't think they're talking about ginger root. Possibly ginger ale, or sugared ginger.
A'ndrea

Closed Thread

Tags
reviews, transderm