Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 08:22 PM

Hello All, I need your opinion..has anyone sailed on the Holiday and if so, how does it compare to the Ecstasy? I have sailed the Ecstasy,Elation and Conquest and realize this ship is smaller, but am I going to be disappointed? The Holiday is running some dirt cheap fares and I was considering it. I have read both negative and positve feedback..Any comments or suggestions?? Thanks !
Old 06-06-2009, 08:54 PM

As long as you know she is a much older and smaller ship. And, She doesn't have the bells and whistles of the other ships you've been on including an atrium. If your expectations are in check it should be fine. The Holiday is still a Fun Ship for a little while longer, and should be a great cruise for the money. I long ago gave up trying to predict what would disappoint or impress anyone though.

Dwayne
Old 06-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Administrator

I've been on the Holiday several times. Honestly? It wasn't as good on our last time aboard (last July) as it was on the earlier cruises. But it was still a nice cruise and I didn't miss any meals. The buffet can be crowded, which is true for any ship. But on the Holiday I think it is a good idea to use the dining room for most meals.

The cabins appeared to be in great shape last summer. The staff was as nice as ever. Typical Carnival style. If you like the price, then you can't go wrong. Mobile is a nice port facility too.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:35 AM

ok I thought about not making a comment but, the Holiday is past her prime. I have cruise her 4 times and she is so ready to be put to pasture. If you go with an open mind you will be ok. the last cruise on her I knew what I was getting but it was still a disappointment. first time cruisers wont know the difference and have a great time, but if this is a 2nd cruise you may be disappointed.
She was such a great ship, Carnival should have retired her before now.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:27 AM

I have to respectively disagree the Holiday is ready for the pasture. The ship is only 24 years old, inaugurated in July 1985. If a ship is maintained properly it should have a life twice or triple that before she's sent off to the demise at Alang. The Holiday definitely was a great ship in her early years. The problem is along came the nineties. Larger ships were being built fast and furious with more amenities and choices. Then the balcony craze in later nineties. The Holiday only has 10 balconies. Today ships are being built with 80% balconies. Then came the competition of who would build the largest ship at sea. One cruise line would hold the title for a while, then another would knock them out only to hold the title for a short while before they would get knocked out. The mega ship building hasn't stopped.

So in all this the poor Holiday is ignored as far as putting money into her. Carnival just put $250 million into the eight Fantasy class ships, but it won't be long and they will be taking back stage to the newer much bigger ships. The Holiday just needs someone to put money into her and give her some TLC.

I was on the Holiday last July with Dave. The food and service were great. The entertainment good. If someone is looking for a cheap cruise just to get back on a ship and satisfy that cruise withdrawal, the Holiday will work fine.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:01 PM

Thank you for all your comments. Im still deciding.With my husbands military rate a family of 4 can go in an oceanview for $895 total! Deciding if it is wortt the funds! Thanks again...
Old 06-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Administrator

When you consider that is around $50 per person/per day it really does sound hard to resist. Even though it is an older ship where else could you get three full service meals per day, snacks and room service, entertainment, and lodging for that price? I can overlook a lot of shortcomings for that amount of money.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:24 PM

It most certainly is worth it. Where else could you go for four nights and have all your meals and hotel for $223.75 per person.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:25 PM

Dave, Will you quit reading my mind. I don't want you reading something you shouldn't be!
Old 06-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Administrator

GMTA!

Closed Thread