Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2007, 10:32 AM

Hi Gang,
Does anyone know anything about the fate of Costa Maya and Mahahual? I found a couple of pictures on a Blogs of War site, but what about the people? I was there at the end of July and fell in love with the people of Mahahual, especially the children. I haven't read anything about the number of fatalities. Another thought, do the people, selling out of stands along the street of Mahahual own those? Does insurance even exist? I lived through the aftermath of Katrina and can't imagine how anyone survives without insurance. Thanks for any info.
-4th Cruise Another Fall Break 4-day on the Fantasy, 10/08
Old 08-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Banned

I've been curious, too. Last night I went to ThisIsCozumel.com and found some news releases. On Costa Maya I read:

"Many US based news sources publishied false information claiming that the Riviera Maya got hit hard by Hurrican Dean when in fact it never lost power, cable, or internet."
And:
"Other than a bit of wind and rain Playa del Carmen was calm. The beaches are still beautiful, the Caribben Sea is still warm and crystal blue...."

thisiscozumel.com/content/view/546/2/

Reports around Cozumel are that there is little clean-up required, some road repairs on the East side of the island, and downtown shops are unscathed. The divers on the island have been in heaven after the storm -- no tourists. The waters around the reef are tequila-colored instead on gin-clear -- they expect that to clear-up quickly. And the activity of sealife after a storm has the fishermen excited.

I realize this is just one source. If anyone knows this source not to be reliable, please advise.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Administrator

There are no reports of deaths or serious injuries in Mahahual or the surrounding area.

Since Costa Maya is visited by more than just Carnival ships, please continue the discussion in this thread which I started this morning in the Caribbean Port Chat section.

I am going to close this thread.

Closed Thread

Tags
fate, mahahual, maya