Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2006, 12:56 PM

I was talking to someone who told me that they used their credit card for the sign and sail card and when they got thier bill there were charges that did not use, totalling 700.00. When you give a credit card can you tell them to put a limit on it and also I was told that I can take cash and give it instead of credit card therefore avoiding credit fraud. Thanks

Caribbean Hotel Links
Old 08-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator

I don't know about asking them to set a limit. My understanding is that they set aside a standard amount. You can provide a cash deposit to them and not use a credit card to secure your onboard charges. Of course, when this runs out your card will stop working!

I've never heard of significant overcharges such as those you noted. I assume they went to the guest relations desk and challenged them. I've personally never had a problem that wasn't quickly and cheerfully resolved to my satisfaction, and really have only had two instances where things needed to be corrected over my 15 year cruising life.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:14 PM

I echo that. I was charged for a bottle of Evian that I did not drink once. It was quickly resolved. They will slip your account update under the door at least on the final night. Twice if a 7 day. And most ships, not all have inter-active TV so you can check your charges.

If you want to do a Cash deposit to secure your Sail & Sign account the minimum Cash Deposits are: 2-4 days $100, 5-8 $200, 9 or longer $350.

But as Dave said, it will be cut off after. I always wondered why they call Peoples names to Info. Desk the last day..Humms

If you are nervous about it check it daily, and if a problem occurs resolve it before you leave the ship. Go to Info/Purser Desk. They do not actually charge your card untill then, they only place a hold/reserve on it.

I have had only one instance for a bottle of water, and resolved it before I Debarked.

Best to you,
IslandCruz
Old 08-20-2006, 05:21 AM

Let me correct the charges that incurred. They left from N.Y. The charges were not on their ship so when the final bill came it the 700 charges were not there. When they received the credit card statement the charges were then there. The charges were used in N.Y. city which they were never there. They arrived by bus and got right on the ship.. Upon investigation there was someone in the accouning office who had info to credit card numbers and was using the info to order personal things for themselves

Caribbean Hotel Links
Old 08-20-2006, 05:47 AM

I would say this is an isolated incident in which that person really was putting their job in jeopardy. However; we hear of this happening all the time with dishonest workers in stores or restaurants. We hear of workers taking pictures of cards with cell phones, swiping a card twice etc. I use my credit card all the time. If you are that concerned, than I would use cash, or just keep an eye on your charges for a few weeks after your cruise.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:06 AM

I recently joined a group of friends, many of whom cruise very frequently, on a Carnival Cruise. It was my first. Naturally, I had questions to ask my fellow cruisers about a variety of things. One concern was the whole system of racking up considerable bills during the trip. The concensus was that there is almost never anything to worry about. And, if you review your bill periodically and notice something that doesn't add up, the staff will explain or adjust the bill very promptly. As to having charges appear afterward, my friends have never experienced that. But, stores, vendors, hotels etc do sometimes find they have employed a bad apple and usually catch the villian after investigation. After my first cruise with Carnival, I have faith in their accounting... and my sign and sail account was very active!
Old 08-20-2006, 12:19 PM

At first I was going to nack up what Dave said about having them correct the onboard charges if they are wrong. My wife alway saves all the receipts incurred through out the cruise and then checks them with the online statement (on the Cabin TV on CCL) or the paper bill the last night. Once in a while she finds some small things, but never that amount. The worst time was when our cruise was diverted due to a storm, so our excursions had to be refunded, at the same time we were switching them around and recharging them. They made a mistake in whose account got charged and credited, but they quickly straightened it out.

You case was definetly not the norm and as stated already can happen in any situation where someone is willing to do illegal things with your given credit card information.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
card, caribbean, carnival, cash, charge, charges, credit, cruise, daily, debit, didnt, limit, minimum, royal, ship