Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007, 03:17 PM

I dont mean to be hard on anyone but turn this around and look at how meny lives could have been in danger had they tried and fail...and damaged the boat with people on board. I think you should be happy that the captain was compentant enough to know it was a dangerous situation. As for Costa Maya, we never even get off the boat there. We did once, thats all it took to know we have lost nothing in that port. Besides that the fun is on the boat. It sounds like to me that maybe the original poster is looking to blame someone, not just an act of God. And that they are looking for something for nothing so to speak.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

macmom111,

I'm with you. If I ever visit Costa Maya again I really doubt I'll leave the ship. I may go ashore to get a beer but that will be it.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:01 PM

Not much to add here other than to say that normally if ports have to be changed they sub in another port. In your case due to the fact that you were already there when it was decided that you could not dock, there wasn't enough time left to change to another port.

I agree with Dave and the others that Costa Maya is not a place to cry about missing. But I also see your point of view in that you wanted to experience the port. Is $25 fair enough compensation? Not really, because its your $25 as you paid it in port taxes as part of your cruise. But, I can't see how a price could be put on a port (especially Costa Maya... maybe $25 is a fair deal?) The Mayan ruins are a great tour, but then can be done from Cozumel too. Look at it an an excuse to go on another cruise so that you can take the tour you missed!
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 06-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Administrator

I haven't made it to Costa Maya yet. For that matter, we once had to skip Cozumel due to bad weather. It happens.

Several years ago, the cruise ship pier at Costa Maya was indeed damaged by a pax ship. The ship was OK, but the pier was so bad that the port closed to cruise ships for months. The ship? Regal Empress, all 20,000 tons of her.

I recall that a Royal Caribbean ship was damaged in a collision with the rebuilt pier a few years later.

Sorry to hear you missed a port you had wanted to see.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:43 PM

The real aggravation for a switched port comes when you are on a 4 day out of Galveston that is supposed to go to Cozumel and the ship has "propulsion" problems that you arent' advised of until you arrive at port to check in for your cruise;and you are switched to Progreso instead - talk about a bummer port! Strange though, the ship had just gotten back that morning from a 5 day cruise to Cozumel and Progreso and left later that after noon - with no evident repairs done- to you guessed it - Cozumel & Progreso. We did receive $50pp credit for the switch. That was fine with me since I saved more than that by not buying jewelery in Cozumel - my favorite activity there.

BTW - I agree - except for the Ruin tour you didn't miss much and when we go in December, I'll probably do like Dave said only I'll skip the beer and go for the fish tacos!
Old 06-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Banned

I always advise newbies not to book any cruise with their heart "set" on any particular port.

Weather (especially during hurricane season) can change things on a dime.

Costa Maya does get skipped, but so does Grand Cayman (when the waters are to rough to tender) and hubby missed Cabo once because the seas were to rough to tender.

Just cruising stuff that happens.....
Old 06-11-2007, 07:21 PM

Neil, I didn't think it was too chapping. Sorry for home problems..something I can relate to very well about.

This same thing happened at St.Kitts once. They tried for almost an hour. If memory serves they gave us the port tax back and $15 extra for a credit. It was dissapointing not getting to port, but was understandable. First time I ever saw one of those big ropes break!

LHP makes a very good point about not banking on a port. I have had the whole thing switched from western to eastern. I still had a great time.

It is concerning about the comments about Costa Maya. It is scheduled on my next cruise, and I have never been. How is it compared to Progreso?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
First time I ever saw one of those big ropes break!
My brother worked for years on tugboats/barges on the intercoastal waterways. They worked 30 day shifts and got 30 off. One of the guys he worked with's wife had their baby during his shift. The Captain headed into the next available port to let him off to catch a plane home. He came in a little fast, the captain gives the throw/no throw order for those lines. Those ropes would never stop a full tow of barges, the engines have to do that. The lines just keep 'em there. Since he came in hot, he oredered "no throw" but this young guy was so excited to get home fast he threw his single line and hit the target without the dock workers assistance. When the line snapped it cut him nearly in two, killed him instantly. He should have never been on the deck to make such a stupid mistake. Good judgement on any vessel especially large vessels is very important.

Neil
Old 06-11-2007, 08:07 PM
I agree, I would be upset at missing a port but safety has to come first.

Also, not a lot in Costa Mays anyway. I never left the port facility when I was there a while back. We were told it was not safe to leave the facility on our own.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 06-11-2007, 08:08 PM

Neil, I think that should put it all in perspective. I think alot of it is what you pointed out in a previous post about people thinking the ports are a gaurantee. When it is the accomodation and food, entertainment. I do understand the disapointment they feel, but it seems..well I am not going to say

Closed Thread

Tags
cancelling, carnival, costa, cruise, cut, dangerous, docking, loose, make, maya, mexico, missed, pier, port, skip, stops