Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2007, 02:02 PM

TOOHIP, you seem to like confrontation a lot more than most of us. Sorry if I hurt your feelings as that was not my intention.

You seem to be angry at CCL, me and anyone who dares to disagree with you on anything. I'm not normally confrontational here as there is no point. I don't know you and you don't know me.

I hope you can get past your anger or depression or whatever it is and learn to get along here. Believe it or not sometimes I'm wrong... You know what else... sometimes you're wrong too. Get your head around that concept and life will be more enjoyable for you and hopefully the rest of us as well.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TOOHIP:

Well I apologize since you feel I'm too "excercised" about some of the replies. I must of been mistaken but I thought I pointed out I near completely enjoyed the cruise, but was "asking" whether Costa Maya had had some problems with docking, and "asking" wheter $25 was fair compensation for not giving what's expected. I don't mind someone pointing out some ulterior reasons or even defending the cruise lines, but suggesting whether I got food and that's all I should expect or they don't want to "stand next to me in line" or making assumptions about me personally or my personal expectations. I was ask a question, and my judgement and expectations were questioned. If that's an unfair or incorrected expectation on my part, again I apologize. I thought this forum was about bringing conversation, information, truth and even some suppostion about crusing to the forefront. It's definately about a personal matters, including if I'm having problems with my A/C at home and being a little harsh. But getting peeved by personal replies I guess is the same as being peeved about personal replies? Oh well. Thanks for the info, even some that was hard to swallow.
Whatever. I think everyone needs to move on since this topic has been on life support since the beginning, and it looks terminal.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:17 PM

Yep,you have a point here,but what if i'm telling you that i've seen in Costa Maya a Disney ship with a really big hole in becose of trying to dock in that place!I don't wanna be on bord when for some reason u hit the dock with a 100 000 tones "car"!
Quote:
Originally posted by TOOHIP:
We just returned from Carnival Liberty's western caribbean cruise June 3-9 (6 nights). Since we're newbies, I won't bother with the critique. But there was one incident that still bothers me, and curious about other experiences at this port, with Carnival, and basic reactions.

We had two days at sea, and three ports - Freeport, Grand Cayman, and Costa Maya. We did shore excursions at both Freeport and Cayman, but was going to wing-it at Costa Maya since it was the last port (11am-7pm), before our second day at sea. Many had booked the two Maya ruins, and the many additional excursions involving boats, snorkeling, etc. - a much awaited port of call.

As we neared the port the wind picked up immensely and white caps started. We got to the port, and the captain started to reverse the boat towards the pier. We watched from our balcony stateroom, but couldn't see the pier. After awhile the cruise director came on the intercom and announced they had cancelled the stop due to "the weather" creating "dangerous" docking situations, and of course played the "safety card" that our safety was considered. It's hard to question the ability or safety to dock a ship in such weather and water conditions, but hey, this is one of the biggest ships in the Carnival fleet, and Costa Maya had recently constructed a huge long cruise ship pier. My suspicions that they were afraid of damaging the pier with such a big ship in heavy winds, was supported by another cruise passenger stating he heard the pier had been damaged before by a cruise ship. The pier was exceptionally long and well out into the water, probably due to shallow seas.

Sadly, much to a lot of disappointment, no alternative port was scheduled or possible, and we got a third day at sea, as they returned to Ft. Lauderdale. They added some "activities" that consisted of trivia contests, gambling activities, and a few minor activities; nothing great. . and they refunded us $25, which we heard was the "docking fee" per person.

While the missed shore activity was a big disappointment, the $25 token refund was more. People chose a cruise based on different criteria, but the port stops are one of them. If they only charged you $25 per port, that would be a great deal, but that's not how they view it until they miss a port. I realize the contractual agreement states they can cancel a port for various reasons, and they don't have to make it up, yada yada. But $25 just is not worth the contractual agreement I had to stop at these three ports. We went right by Cozumel, and Key West which I've been to before, but would of at least been a reasonable alternative. Obviously they couldn't get a reservation. I question whether if Costa Maya has this problem either with the wind/wave problem or the fragile pier problem, that hindsight should of suggest booking an alternative port just in case? But I feel they owed us more than a token $25. I expected a voucher on a future cruise, like $100. I would of been OK with that. I griped at the pursor desk, and canceled our automatic $60/ea gratuity charge out of protest, but realized it's not the crew's fault, so gave them their gratuity's individually and manually.

Does cruise insurance cover this? What's the recourse? Check with the history of cruise lines on cancelling ports under these considtions? Avoiding Costa Maya? All in all we had a great time, and look forward to our next cruise, and will include Carnival. But this experience was rather surprising, mostly in how we was so casually written off. Two days in a row at sea, and the last two day, made for a anti-climatic end for what started out great.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:16 AM

Just gotta throw in two more cents.....I would pay Carnival $25 to skip Costa Maya for an additional day at sea.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 06-22-2007, 08:04 PM

I agree. I have my $25.00
Old 06-25-2007, 12:21 AM

We had the opposite problem. We were scheduled to go to Grand Caymen and it was closed. After the hurricans Caymen was without power among other things and the ship took us to Costa Maya.
We had such fun there. We took a tour that took you down the coast to a beach. It was run by a lot of young people and they were great.
Disappointed that we missed Caymen but had fun anyway.
Sherry.
leaving Oct. 13 on the Triumph

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
cancelling, carnival, costa, cruise, cut, dangerous, docking, loose, make, maya, mexico, missed, pier, port, skip, stops