Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2006, 07:00 PM

Is there any advantages or disadvantages to paying off the cruise balance early? Course, I'm aware of the upgrade possibilities, but we're already getting an "E" at an "A" price. But as a first timer next spring (Valor, 5/13/07), does it make much difference whether I pay off the balance this week, or wait 'til the cut off date of 2/07?

Thanks,

Go Cats

Post Your Caribbean Trip Report
Old 11-26-2006, 10:45 PM

Hi BobCats, I would wait. I was in the same situation with A to E. It is rare to get much more, but I got a little more. It does not matter if it is paid or not in that regard. It is the final payment date, that is when cancellation penalties start.

There is no advantage on your end whatsoever to pay it early. With HSBC Direct paying 5.05% interest on their online savings accounts, would be better to put your money there for 3 months. Just my opinion from a financial standpoint.

I usually pay mine the day of, or a day later, and haggle with them even then and after

IslandCruz
Old 11-27-2006, 05:07 AM
Administrator

There is no advantage to paying it off early. The cruise lines don't keep track of bookings with the thought being "hmmm, Dave paid his balance a month early - let's give him an upgrade." Don't give them your money before it is due.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:39 AM

Cruz and Dave make good points... Hold on to your money and let it work for you as long as possible. Just don't forget to pay up before the due date or you could lose your cruise reservation AND still have to pay for it!

My sis-in-law paid her's by check with plenty of time, but almost lost out because it was not applied to her account due to CCL's mistakes. Luckily she had called in the day before it was due and confirmed with someone that the money had been applied to her account (which apparently it had not) CCL had given her cabin to someone else already and they were forced to give her a suite because it was their mistake.

If you pay by credit card of course, that's the safest thing, but she paid by check for some reason.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 11-27-2006, 02:01 PM

Well, this is our first cruise, and honeymoon. One of those things where you want everything to do smoothly, even the things out of your control (weather, etc).
So, since I have the cash now, I think I am going to pay it. Financially speaking I should put that $ in an account and gather up a few extra dollars, but except for any unforseen injuries (God forbid), we are going on this cruise/honeymoon regardless of circumstances. So I think I will pay it. Many thanks for your opinions however, and I will continue to post questions as the need arises.

First time cruiser, first time honeymooner, plenty of excitement. Only have 160 days to go!!

Old 11-27-2006, 08:39 PM

So far I have paid all my cruise balance earlier. Been on 3 cruises the last one had a price reduction after we paid the balance so we got a 60 dollar on board credit. have booked cruise 4 and 5 for next year and cruise 5 will be paid off next month eventhough it is not due until 7-18-07 and cruise 4 will be paid off sometimes in may 2 months ahead of schedule. My fiance and I do it this way so we know the cruise is paid for and we can start saving our spending money sooner so we can spend more money than if we had waited until the due dates to pay it off. Just my .2
Old 11-28-2006, 02:02 AM

I agree with that too. Everyone manages money differently. If one has the cash and is nervous about it, I say pay it and call it a done deal.

Start saving for the extras like pandaruth27 suggests.

One question? Off topic, and maybe personal, but why is the wedding so far in the future?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:56 AM

I too pay it off when I book or atleast a few weeks after booking. this way I can save for my Bar Tab or a new speedo .
At least if the cruise is paid for...I allways say even if Im homeless I know I can atleast get on the ship that day

as far as everything being perfect and rolling smooth. Dont Sweat it.. if it all went smooth and perfect there would be nothing Fun to remember. the best memories are built by Adventure and suprise. if anything goes bonkers just say to her "Babe We will be laughing about this, this time next year".
and make sure you Bring a camcorder
Old 11-28-2006, 04:32 AM
Administrator

A related question for the travel agents or others in the know: If a balance is paid off early, and there is a subsequent price drop, how difficult is it for the cruiser to then get the lower rate?

If final payment had not been made, the cruise line simply adjusts the billing amount. (This has happened to us numerous times -- and one was in excess of $1,000.) But, if the line already has $ in hand, what happens? Do they issue a check for the difference? Shipboard credit? Or, is the client out of luck?

Just curious...
Old 11-28-2006, 04:42 AM

Wedding - Future?

WEll, we were thinking about getting married in October of 2006 (she and I have been together for 3 years, and are both in our mid thirties). However, on May 26th, lightening hit our house at 4am and caught fire. Escaped with some clothes and that's it. We lived in a 29 foot travel trailer in the driveway for 5 months, and just moved back into the re-built house a month ago. At least we weren't hurt. So, with all the tap dancing with insurance companies, adjusters, contractors, buying furniture, clothing, blah, blah, blah, the wedding got pushed back to late April.

So, with all that, everyone can probably understand my anxiety about having a trouble-free cruise honeymoon. And trouble-free is too much to ask for, but if I can plan properly, can maybe have the least amount of problems arise. But having problems is part of the adventure anyway.

So with all that said, and thanks to everyone's $.2 (first timers like us need the extra $.2), I'm paying this cruise off this week.

Closed Thread

Tags
adjust, advantage, balance, carnival, check, cruise, date, drops, due, early, fare, money, pay, paying, price, tips