Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2006, 04:29 PM

Taking first cruise ever! FeB 5th 2007 with Carnival Fascination ships.Booked oceanview on empress deck. Would like tips for hard to stand hard to walk passenger.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:40 AM

what exactly do you need to know? We were on the Fascination in an oceanview but on the Upper deck, I think the cabins are all pretty much the same. Let me know if I can help.

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Imagination Mar. 09
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2008
Carnival Liberty March 2008
Carnival Freedom Nov 2007
Explorer of the Sea Mar 2007
Carnival Fascination Nov. 2006
Grand Princess Feb 4 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb 2005
TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 11-22-2006, 07:27 PM

On Empress deck, they have some handicap cabins right behind the Info. Desk. They have showers with no floor barriers, and they have a pulldown shower seat, and they have handrails.

I would suggest trying to get one. I would think it would be extra difficult with a moving ship. I stayed in E-71 though I am not handicapped it was accidently that type of cabin. It was the best and accesible location for everything.

Best to you,
IslandCruz
Old 11-25-2006, 06:09 AM

We just returned this morning from the Fascination. There were 21 of us, aged 7 to 82. Tuesday was a really really rough night with the ship rockin' and a rollin' and our 78 and 82-year-old ladies did fine. (One uses a walker). There were a lot of "hard-to-walk, hard-to-stand" guests and it looked like no one had a problem walking, and I want to tell you, it was really rough out there. In fact at last seating dinner, our table of 10 had 9 folks (and the one out was sick BEFORE the 12 foot seas). Table of 10 aft of us had 2 people there, table of 10 behind us had 3. Lots of empty tables, but I heard of no one or saw no one take a fall. There are plenty of hand rails, and no problems.

By the way, a bit of a hint, arrive at the port and get a wheelchair. My aunt was put in a wheelchair and moved to the front of the long line.
Sapphire Princess September 2008
Old 11-25-2006, 07:17 AM

Yes, I hope you let your agent or Carnival know that you have a handicapped passenger when you booked.

We have sailed a couple of times with my in-laws, and MIL has similar difficulties due to a stroke. They were placed in a handicap-friendly room. The shower, especially, was a huge help to her. The rest of the ship, as far as I could tell was not much of a problem, although the public restrooms, as I recall, all have rather tall barriers you have to step over at the doors. There are plenty of elevators, but you may have to wait a little bit longer to use them than just walking up or down stairs.

DEFINITELY let Carnival's people know when you reach the port that you need a wheelchair. When we took the Elation out of Galveston (a few years back) with our extended family, my MIL (just as Pupiczech says) was taken to the very front of the line. My FIL pushed her wheelchair and my BIL handled their carry-luggage, so all three went to the front of the line and were the very first three passengers on the ship.

I'm sure your group will have a wonderful trip! Bon Voyage!
Old 11-26-2006, 05:47 AM

Another tip, not necessarily your question, but, three words regarding the food.

CHOCOLATE MELTING CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sapphire Princess September 2008

Closed Thread

Tags
cabin, carnival, cruise, deck, e120, empress, fascination, friendly, handicap, handicapped, public, rest, reviews, rooms, ship, tips, wheelchair