Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007, 07:09 AM

Hi group. I know this is gonna probably bring down some bad ju-ju on me.

But what if it rains? My husband says he's fine just staying in the cabin (whatever is HE thinking?), but if we manage venture out, does Carnival do extra stuff to keep people from killing each other from disappointment and boredom?

Also (again the bad ju-ju), has anyone NOT made it to the dock on time due to bad weather. We change planes in Chicago and you may have noticed that they get a little snow there.

Thanks to all who post--I've had questions answered before I've even THOUGHT of them! :-)
Old 02-20-2007, 07:47 AM

you have to go with the attitude that I have. A rainey day in the carribbean is better than a sunny day most places. You will have tons to do on the ship each day. I just got back last week and it rain and was very cold for a couple of the days. Still we had a blast. Always bring a light waterproof jacket.
As for missing the boat, if you booked thru the cruise line they will fly you to the first port. Which if you are "the glass is half full" type it is not all that bad. All you miss is the huge lines and waiting to board the ship and the very boring Muster drill. The first day is really not that fun anyway. If you did not book you will have to pay to fly to the first port.It all works itself out in the end
Old 02-20-2007, 07:56 AM

Wow... you are obviously a first time cruiser. What if it rains??? It's the tropics, of course it is going to rain. But the rain storms come and go quickly so there is not typically LONG periods of time were there is rain. And one of the benefits of being on a cruise as opposed to the land based vacation is that the ship moves. It goes to different places, so if the land based vacation is subjected to a week of rain, only one port may have rain on your cruise.

The other thing is that most of the activities are inside the ship except of course for the sun bathing. So rain does not in any way equate to "nothing to do". We are not sunbathers and we have never been bored.

Many times people do not make it to the dock (assuming you meant at the embarkation port). If you book airfare via the cruiseline, they will be responsible to get you to the next port of call to meet the ship (not the greatest because that can be a day or two of missed cruise.. but better than no cruise) If you book your own air travel, you will be responsible to get to the next port. (Read as expensive) That is why we try to fly in the day before a cruise and then spend the night in a hotel. This allows plenty of buffer time for delayed flights. And even spending money on a hotel, it work out cheaper than booking airfare through the cruise (someone has to pay for that "get you to the ship" insurance)
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 02-20-2007, 10:06 AM

Yes, I'm a first-time cruiser. And as such, I'm obsessively checking the weather channel's 10 day forcasts for Chicago, Miami, for Ocho Rios and for Grand Cayman. I also don't have my tickets yet and I leave next Friday (Carnival is having us fly in the day ahead and putting us up to make sure we're there for embarkation--on their dime. I hear it's because we only have one flight choice on Saturday and it cuts too close for comfort with Carnival staff)

I know it rains everywhere, but I'm anxious to have a sun-filled vacation and turn into one of the frequent cruisers seen on this site. I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that a little tropical rain won't ruin my parade.

Anyone have any good "rainy day" stories to calm my nerves?
Old 02-20-2007, 11:36 AM

Don't worry about tropical rain. The rain will come and go in an hour or so. You may sail through cloud bursts but they don't last long.. And I'd take the weather reports you see with a grain of salt. They may call for rain every day..which it does, but only for an hour or so or off and on.. If you get to a port and its raining you can get rain ponchos in any of the store cheaply.. or just get wet...

Glad to hear you are flying in a day early. You said you do no have your tickets yet... Just your air tix or your cruise docs too? I would call the cruise line (your personal vacation planner or your TA) and find out where they are. The air tix may be paperless and you just need ID at the airport to get them. The cruise docs are not really needed as they can check you in without them, but its nice to have the luggage tags for your bags.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 02-20-2007, 03:14 PM

Nope, no docs at all yet. This was a very last-minute thing. I'd had a medical scare and when it turned out to be a false alarm, I said "screw it, I'm going on a cruise". So I booked it. Can I afford it? Not really. Do I care? Not really. Life's too iffy sometimes.
I didn't even book until Feb. 10th or so, and my TA says not to get worried unless I don't have anything by this Friday. Seems pretty tight to me, but I'll go with it. I'm looking forward to coming back here with my "first-timer" review...and hopefully I'll be a 2nd, 3rd,4th,etc. timer like the rest of you!

Closed Thread

Tags
airfare, carnival, chances, check, cold, cruise, minute, powered, rain, ruin, sat, september, vbulletin, weather, week