Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2007, 10:36 AM

Vacations To Go also offers the military discount at the same price as Carnival if you ask for it. Most of the cruise discount sites also offer the same military rate. You can check the military rate for all the cruise lines on the Vacations To Go website. This is great because I have always had to call Carnival directly to find out the rate but now use Vacations To Go's website to check the price so I don't have to talk with anyone on the phone until I am ready to book.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 AM

Sherry, you've located a great tool. That little list of specialty tabs you're referring to lists military rates, 55+ rates, past pax rates, community appreciation rates (police, firefighter, teacher) and many other sub-categories. Wherever you prefer to book your cruises, these tabs can help you identify if there is a rate you may qualify for that would save you some money. Also if none of these appear at the time you book for your sailing go back in and look again from time to time. Sometimes the cruiseline will add such promos early and sometimes they'll open them late to try and spur bookings. If you're over 55 and a senior rate pops up after you book, many lines will allow your agent to move your booking into that promotion and lower your payoff or rebate your CC if you've paid it in full.

Cheers, Neil
Old 11-10-2007, 10:59 AM

Oh yeah, Sherry A., welcome to Cruise-Chat!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:22 PM

Sherry, those are some good tools to check out.

I do have a question, and I don't know whether to ask it here or somewhere else.

I am over 55 and we have booked our cruse, but will not be paying it "completely" off, until the end of this year. I know sometimes the cruise lines may give 55 and over discounts, but sometimes show up either before you book or after you have already paid.

Does anyone know a good time to do checking on these over 55 discounts? Like a month or three months before you cruise?

brneyes
Old 11-12-2007, 02:54 PM

Hi brneyes, There is no set time frame unfortunatey. What I tell clients at the time of the booking is to save the page where those tabs are in favorites. Just takes a minute or less when you're going online or checking email to pop the screen up, click on the 55+ tab and see if your sailing date has been added. If it has just call your T/A and advise them to have your promo changed.

Cheers, Neil
Old 11-12-2007, 05:05 PM

Hi brneyes, Another thing is to do the checking before you get into the penalty phase (past the final payment date). They can be reluctant to change the rate after that. Best Wishes.

Dwayne
Old 11-13-2007, 07:48 AM

Thanks Neil, I'll try to "remember" that. I hope when it gets closer there might be a discount. I know when I checked before, we saved $100. That was nice, so we were able to "spend" it elsewhere.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:16 AM

Thanks Neil. I did just check the Carnival website on the Liberty, and at this time....it does not look like they are giving any 55+ discounts. I'll keep checking as it gets closer to time.

brneyes
Old 11-13-2007, 08:22 AM

Thanks Dwayne. I'll try to check that out before I make my final payment in December. I thought you could STILL change it after you had already paid for it, but maybe not.

brneyes
Old 11-13-2007, 11:39 AM

hi agian brneyes, Carnival's website doesn't have a spot that I'm aware of that you can check online for such promotions as 55+ or military rates. You have to call them to find out. They typically ask during the booking to make sure they get you the best rate code category but don't make it easy to see if one opens later.

On the subject of before or after final payment drops... You should always try to get the lower rate if there is one available at any time. The reason for the distinction being important is not the rate but the rate code you're booked in. If the rate code you book in falls in price you can get it adjusted at any time, at least with CCL up to 24-48 hours before the sailing (depending on when they finalize the manifest or sell out your category). Many time new rate codes appear for last minute bookings or rate codes that apply to different categories of cabin. These circumstances change things. Sometimes they will still allow you to change to the new promotion/category (most cruiselines will not). Occasionally they will have an asterisk stating "*For new bookings only". Carnival is one of the best at not excluding you, even once in penalty and often in other Cats and promos. You simply have to ask you T/A or the cruiseline (if you booked direct) if you can be moved to the new promotion. I've had very good success with having all of this done for my clients in the past year or better with CCL. They are very accommodating with wanting you to have the lower rate and keep you happy and coming back. I wish that were the case with all lines but it's the exception, not the rule.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, cruze, discount, discounted, dollars, good, review, reviews, site, sites, web, website, websites, work