Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Health Care on the ship. (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/13756-health-care-ship.html)

wienergirls 03-09-2007 10:33 PM

I'm sure I am worrying about nothing here but,..If one of us gets sick on the cruise is there a certain kind of health insurance I can buy to cover us? I understand my health insurance doesn't cover care received on the ship. If you need care will it break you financially?? We are traveling with a young one and when he gets sick he gets SICK! I am bringing with me, every type of medication I can think of. So I guess what I am wondering is..if something happens, injury or illness what type of expense shall I be prepared for? Thanks guys. I guess at this stage I am worrying about everything.

5String 03-10-2007 03:22 AM

There are a large number of companies that you can buy travel insurance from that will cover medical expenses during a cruise. Be aware that all insurance companies and policies are not created equal. Do your research well because policies in the same price ballpark are NOT always equal when you read fine print.

I found a terrific web site that lets you do a side by side comparison of the companies/policies that fit your criteria. It really made the selection process much much easier than trying to gather all the bits and pieces from a lot of different sources. I'm not sure if a link to this particular site is permissible in this forum so I won't post it openly right now. (BTW, I have no financial interest in the site except for being a satisfied customer.)

Hermy 03-10-2007 04:51 AM

Well, we utilized the ships medical services twice on this last cruise.

First, was for a rash my wife got on her legs from a dirty horse in Ixtapa. The ships nurse took a look at it and gave her a Claritine.

Second, was when my wife got sick from drinking a pop with ice. She got the Monetzuma Revenge.
My wife had to fill out a form and try to remember everything she ate and where she ate it. The ships nurse then gave her a few doses of Amodium AD.

Total cost? nothing.

I did however see a sign on the front of the nurses desk that said something along the lines of; Doctor consultation $60, Nurse consultation $30.

I'm kind of guessing that my wifes issues were considered minor or somewhat routine which is maybe why we weren't charged.

PC GUY 03-10-2007 06:04 AM

That is a good question, in Canada we need to get out of province medical coverage if we leave the province, or make sure your group health benefits from work cover you. Our provincial plan (Ontario) will only cover Ontario rates for services rendered outside the province (unless they specifically send us abroad for services that they cannot provide).

If the contract says 100% coverage for eligible expenses, then is the ship's doctor covered as well?
- pay the bill, submit the claim, get a refund!

CruiseDad 03-10-2007 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PC GUY:
That is a good question, in Canada we need to get out of province medical coverage if we leave the province, or make sure your group health benefits from work cover you. Our provincial plan (Ontario) will only cover Ontario rates for services rendered outside the province (unless they specifically send us abroad for services that they cannot provide).

If the contract says 100% coverage for eligible expenses, then is the ship's doctor covered as well?
- pay the bill, submit the claim, get a refund!
I think 5string has good advice. I also used a web site to compare insurances that I thought was very good. Perhaps it is the same one; I wouldn't mind having the URL myself if you can forward it. I have had two experiences with the ship's infirmary. The first was a contact lens that lodged itself up behind my eyelid. The nurse was able to get it out, No Charge. The second was more serious: My wife fell off her bike in Barbados on a tour. She was abraded on elbows and knees, nothing broken. The tour guides were great with first aid and radioed back to the ship. She rode in the chase bus and I continued on the tour, we had a drink on the beach as part of the tour and when we got back the welcome security said that they had the ship's doctor standing by if we wanted to see him. We did: they cleaned it up again and gave her some antibiotics. No Charge.

However if it is something life threatening, they will do their best to stabilize and get you off the ship to the nearest medical facility which may not be very good and which will charge you for everything and expect to be paid. The ship will not charge you for lost time to take the ship back to port or anything, or ships fuel anything ridicules like that. But the doctors are often just there exchanging service for a vacation, could be any specialty, so know your child’s issues as you apparently do so you can advise them if you need to.

baby doll 03-10-2007 07:43 AM

Once while in the Bahamas I got real sick and when came back from a shore excursion had chills and a fever of 103 and nauseated...never found out what it was, but they took me into the infirmary just as soon as I came back to the ship and the Dr ran every kind of test there were and took very good care of me. Next day I was fine...??? The bill was $130.00, but Kaiser paid it when I got home...their policy being when you can't get to a kaiser you go to the nearest Er and the ship was it. This last time it cost nothing as with Hermy's wife they thought it was the Revenge but could have been the Nirovirus so they treat all the same and don't charge you. They even had the chef send up some broth and crackers while being quarantined in our cabin. I have also seen helicopters medivac off the ship and another time the coast guard came along side the ship and picked up a patient so I know that would be a pretty penny to pay for that charge.

Cruise Fanatic 03-10-2007 07:50 AM

Not sure if this is the website you are referring to but this may help. Look Here