Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 12:24 AM

My internet service has been out for several days and I am JUST NOW hearing about this young man's sad situation. I pray for his family that God might give them peace and grant them some kind of closure so they may once again be able to lay their head down and sleep at night.

One more thing that I would like to address is that I think it is VERY cruel and uncaring for strangers to get on chat sites and talk about someone's child and call them STUPID! The difinition of Stupid is: lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull. I DON'T THINK THAT ANYONE WOULD APPRECIATE ANOTHER PERSON; ESPECIALLY A STRANGER CALLING THEIR CHILD (DEAD OR ALIVE) STUPID! When there is a tragedy like this one, people should be more careful, and think first before they use certian words. You have to think ( If it were me would I want others saying that about my Son/Daughter?) AND, if the answer is NO, then DON'T type it! Lets PLEASE make an effort to think before we speak / type. That young man oviously had great emotional pain if he did in fact jump! What some may call STUPID is really in fact IGNORANCE! Which means: a lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc. He was probably depressed and lacked the knowledge or information about who to go to or where to go to get help, if he would have known, maybe he would be alive today.HE WASN'T STUPID - AS YOU NOW KNOW FROM THE DIFFINITION ABOVE, HE JUST LACKED KNOWLEDGE AND INFORMATION. (THAT CAN BE LEARNED - IF HE WAS STUPID, HE COULD NOT LEARN IT) It's so hard being a teen these days. I have two of my own, I know from experience that it is no easy task to try to be a parent so you can make the rules and also be the friend so they will talk to you about things as well. It's a double edged sword.

Like I said before, I pray for this family and I hope that they get some kind of peace and closure. I also hope that after this post that many will think before they use words like STUPID and other cruel words that label when they don't even know who they are talking about and don't even know the situation.

H.B.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-30-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
One more thing that I would like to address is that I think it is VERY cruel and uncaring for strangers to get on chat sites and talk about someone's child and call them STUPID! The difinition of Stupid is: lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull. I DON'T THINK THAT ANYONE WOULD APPRECIATE ANOTHER PERSON; ESPECIALLY A STRANGER CALLING THEIR CHILD (DEAD OR ALIVE) STUPID! When there is a tragedy like this one, people should be more careful, and think first before they use certian words. You have to think ( If it were me would I want others saying that about my Son/Daughter?) AND, if the answer is NO, then DON'T type it!
I totally agree. I also want to point out that no one on this forum called anyone stupid. There are two posts with the word "stupid" in them. They both refer to actions taken rather than the person.

Dwayne
Old 05-30-2009, 05:14 AM

I guess I wont be too popular here but I think Hopes post was totally uncalled for on this thread. I dont think one post was cruel or mean or whatever. We all feel very sorry for the young man, but his actions were stupid.
The people on this board have proven to me to be the kindest most careing people around.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:08 AM

It should be noted there are many definitions of the word stupid. Not just one. see here. First, If a word is taken out of context it can sound ominous. Second, in today's politically correct society many words that were once benign are now unacceptable.

Cruise-chat is not a mean spirited site. The staff of Cruise-Chat simply won't allow it. I think I can speak for everyone in saying that we all wish the best for this family and our thoughts are with them.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Administrator

From the list of definitions for stupid...."poor decisions or careless mistakes", "senseless".

I'll let the members in on something...the staff has been discussing this particular tragedy in private, noting this kid was an honor student and that sometimes "good kids can do stupid things". It comes not from a lack of intelligence, but from a lack of maturity and wisdom.

I see no point in this thread continuing, so it is now closed.

Closed Thread

Tags
2006, cruise, fell, passenger, ships