Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 05:56 PM
I hear the Sensation will have an overhaul. Does anyone know when this will happen and how long does it take? We are sailing on her Feb. 15th.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I hear the Sensation will have an overhaul. Does anyone know when this will happen and how long does it take? We are sailing on her Feb. 15th.
Hi papa, Yes, and it's going to be a major one. She is scheduled to enter drydock 1/08/09 and finish 2/11/09. That's a pretty long drydock. You are on the second run after this major overhaul.

Here is a link to the press release.

Dwayne
Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 AM
Banned

Hopefully they will take the Sensation back to the East Coast shipyard that did such a wonderful job on Inspiration and Imagination.

(Which is likely seeing how close they are currently to them.)

The Mobile drydock on the Fantasy was a disaster. I sure hope they don't use that yard again.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:40 PM

My guess is Freeport Shipyard since it is one of it's regular stops. I've read quite a few negative comments about the Fantasy's drydock too.

Dwayne
Old 11-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Banned

This is something I don't understand .... there was plenty of time to plan it out...

if you have a shipyard that does a great job, as the one in Charleston (I think that is where it was done...if not, I apologize) then why not let them do the rest of them.

Since this yard did the Inspiration and Imagination so well....that means they already know what areas are going to cause problems...they already know what areas are going to need some extra TLC ... how long it will take etc etc etc .

It seems silly to me to start from scratch every time with a different yard?????
Old 11-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It seems silly to me to start from scratch every time with a different yard?????
It is a bad business decision in my view. Using one shipyard to do the same modifications to all the ships usually means consistency and increasing economy with each upgraded ship. It would seem Carnival simply went with piece meal low bids and didn't look at the big picture. There is a reason all the Nimitz class aircraft carriers were built by Newport News Shipbuilding. The Nimitz took the longest to build and was the most inefficient assembly. With each new carrier the build time was reduced and the quality improved.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:54 PM
The Sensation had a major overhaul after the Katrina FEMA charters and already has some of the improvements of the Evolutions of Fun upgrades.

When the Sensation comes out of dry dock, it will be retrofitted with Cat 8 balcony staterooms - the first time ever on a Fantasy Class. I hope my old friend the Fascination will have them installed as well.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
LHP, I am just making a guess about it being Freeport. I agree with you and Dave about using the same shipyard for consistency. I hope they get on the right track with this.

Dwayne
Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
When the Sensation comes out of dry dock, it will be retrofitted with Cat 8 balcony staterooms - the first time ever on a Fantasy Class. I hope my old friend the Fascination will have them installed as well.
I do too!

Dwayne
Old 11-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
quote:
Hi papa, Yes, and it's going to be a major one. She is scheduled to enter drydock 1/08/09 and finish 2/11/09. That's a pretty long drydock. You are on the second run after this major overhaul.
Thanks Dwayne. Great link. I think it will be a wonderful trip!
Here is a link to the press release.

Dwayne

Closed Thread