Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 01:33 PM

Hello all,

Looks like one of our fellas is coming back to the ships, so for the time being GREETINGS FROM THE BEAUTIFUL CARNIVAL ECSTASY! My name's Don, I am from Lithuania and currently working aboard M/S Ecstasy as a Disc Jockey, though I've been working for the housekeeping for last three years or so, so I think being a crew member who started as a deck boy (just as our fabulous capt. Scala started his maritime career), I would be more than happy to share my experiences from quite a different perspective! Looking forward to hear from all of you, because usually we don't get a big chance to personally interact with our guests...
Old 07-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Don_CCL:
Hello all,

Looks like one of our fellas is coming back to the ships, so for the time being GREETINGS FROM THE BEAUTIFUL CARNIVAL ECSTASY! My name's Don, I am from Lithuania and currently working aboard M/S Ecstasy as a Disc Jockey, though I've been working for the housekeeping for last three years or so, so I think being a crew member who started as a deck boy (just as our fabulous capt. Scala started his maritime career), I would be more than happy to share my experiences from quite a different perspective! Looking forward to hear from all of you, because usually we don't get a big chance to personally interact with our guests...
Thanks for signing in. The Ecstasy sails out of Galvaston Texas. Is that a nice port? Being a disc jockey at club cool I imagine you must get to interface with passengers a lot but do any of the crew come to the club incognito and just have fun like a passenger?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Hello Don,

Welcome to cruise-chat! On behalf of the membership I thank you for offering to give us some perspective!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:12 PM

Hi Don,

I have a question (and I'm sorry if someone already asked Gino this): What do passengers do that annoy crew members the most? People pay alot of money to go on a cruise, and they want to be treated like royalty, but I'm sure some take it too far. Any interesting stories regarding this??

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-13-2007, 02:52 PM

Well, you know, whatever's new is new, been for 4 cruises here, and I should say Galveston's a nice small and kinda romantic place to be, definitely more calm than let's say Miami is, where it's all about shopping for us. Usually whenever we've got a chance to get off in Galveston,yeah,that's also what we do, go for shopping, because everything's cheaper and you have a variety, not like in Mexico, where all you buy is souvenirs'n'stuff...
Talking bout the night club aboard, there's a chance you're gonna meet some staff members in there as well, but there's no way to stay incognito - nametag's a must. But usually the majority of crew prefer the staff only activities and that's another story
Old 07-13-2007, 03:04 PM

Hi Mike,

Well, I don't really believe that there is something that annoys us the most, because whatever you guys do, it's just our job to make sure everything is taken care of afterwards. So doesn't matter, if you're a party animal or a messy guy no one treats it as a kind of personal offense which makes us goin' mad behind the scenes... (as long as we get paid for that ) so... don't get me wrong, I am really not trying to save anyone's reputation or smth... When I was a cabin steward, yeah, sometimes it was a challenge to deal with the "royalties", but you know, whnever you work on a ship, you work as one big team and that helps you out a lot. Overall, it's fun and sometimes funny to be here...Oh my god, sometime's you can hardly hold your laugh when you hear questions like "are there any computers in the internet cafe?"...

Quote:
Originally posted by MiketheKid:
Hi Don,

I have a question (and I'm sorry if someone already asked Gino this): What do passengers do that annoy crew members the most? People pay alot of money to go on a cruise, and they want to be treated like royalty, but I'm sure some take it too far. Any interesting stories regarding this??

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Well, I don't really believe that there is something that annoys us the most, because whatever you guys do, it's just our job to make sure everything is taken care of afterwards. So doesn't matter, if you're a party animal or a messy guy no one treats it as a kind of personal offense which makes us goin' mad behind the scenes... (as long as we get paid for that ) so... don't get me wrong, I am really not trying to save anyone's reputation or smth... When I was a cabin steward, yeah, sometimes it was a challenge to deal with the "royalties", but you know, whnever you work on a ship, you work as one big team and that helps you out a lot. Overall, it's fun and sometimes funny to be here...Oh my god, sometime's you can hardly hold your laugh when you hear questions like "are there any computers in the internet cafe?"...

quote:
Originally posted by MiketheKid:
Hi Don,

Thanks,
Mike

I actually had a cabin steward at the end of our Alaskan cruise that thanked me for not acting like a Princess. Every time he entered our cabin (as wtih all our cruises) the shoes are put away and the floor clear so they don't trip over something, the dirty clothes are neatly in which ever suitcase we are using as the "dirty clothes bag", the towels that need to be replaced neatly in a bundle in corner of the bathroom floor...our cabins are never "trashed". He seemed to appreciate it.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Hello DJ_Don_CLL:

Thank you for taking your time to do this chatroom discussion. I am sure we all appreciate it. Like I said to Gino before you.

Anyway, here in this chatroom, you are given a title below your name. Under your name it says "New Cruiser" ! That reminds me back in 2004 before I took my very first cruise, my title said "Expierienced Cruiser". I suppose the titles are given by the chatroom program determined by how many times you visited, not by the number of cruises you have had.

Anyway, here is my question:
I heard that crewmembers use long distance calling cards to phone home when they are in port. If so, are they a particular type of long distance phone card, or can a crewmember use any long distance phone card? Any brand?

I ask this since I heard about including such a phone card as part of the tip given at the end of a cruise. So I just might give the crewmembers that served me such a phone card, if I know which phone card in particular to get.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hello all,

Hve you made it to my favorite bar in Cozumel
"No Name Bar"?
Old 07-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I suppose the titles are given by the chatroom program determined by how many times you visited, not by the number of cruises you have had.
The titles are determined by "karma points" which equals the number of posts you have made. We manually set the numbers of posts required to reach a certain level, and of course we establish the names of the levels.

Closed Thread

Tags
aboard, carnival, crew, cruise, ecstacy, ecstasy, ectasy, forum, hours, member, members, nightclub, phone, reach, time, work