Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2003, 06:30 AM

I have been hearing and seeing so many negatives concerning Carnival and am wondering if there is really that much wrong ...

Also ... tell me about the Fantasy ... Will my 60+ parents enjoy thier time on this ship ... they have never cruised before and that is one of the reasons I choose just a 4 day cruise for them ... Have I made a bad choice?

Sending Parents on 40th Anniversary Cruise
10/19 Fantasy

Old 06-07-2003, 06:30 AM

I have been hearing and seeing so many negatives concerning Carnival and am wondering if there is really that much wrong ...

Also ... tell me about the Fantasy ... Will my 60+ parents enjoy thier time on this ship ... they have never cruised before and that is one of the reasons I choose just a 4 day cruise for them ... Have I made a bad choice?

10/19 Fantasy

Old 06-07-2003, 07:52 AM

It depends on what your parents are like. If they are active and fun-loving, and don't get uptight about every little thing, they will probably really enjoy themselves. There seemed to be a real mix of ages and activity levels onboard when we were there - sort of a "Mr. & Mrs. America go cruising" feel to the passenger mix. I sailed it myself several years ago, before it was refurbished (I heard they took the neon out). If you want to check my review as well, go to www.knowlton.org/travel and click on Fantasy 1998. The interior appearance of the ship will probably be somewhat different now, but I am reasonably sure that the cruise experience will be roughly the same.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:41 AM

Thanks so much for you quick response ... your review was wonderfully put together and really gave a good feel for what fun my parents will be having ... while they are not the kind to partake in activities they do love watching them ... they are real people watchers so that, to me, will make the cruise a great adventure for them ...

10/19 Fantasy

Old 06-07-2003, 02:04 PM

You're welcome! People watching is great on cruises!
Old 06-09-2003, 08:02 AM

I cruised the Carnival Fantasy in 1996 when I was 21 as a college graduation present. I had no problems with the ship whatsoever!! I thought the ship was beautiful, I don't remember having trouble finding a deck chair, the kids weren't too annoying, the service was top notch, there were no strange or bad smells, and I thought the food was really good! I have particularly good memories of an omellette I had at breakfast, and the large prawns at dinner.

These people who complain of the food must come aboard expecting something out of lifestyles of the rich and famous or something! I would describe the food as much higher quality than your basic american restaurant chain like Chili's - but maybe not 5 stars - I have discriminating taste, and I thought the food was pretty decent.

The only things I would say to keep in mind: Don't feel like you have to go to every meal when there's so much to do onboard. And there is quite a bit of walking involved b/c the boat is big! (I personally like that b/c it helps you walk off all of the food!) Have a great time and don't let these sourpuss reviews stop you for one second!
Old 06-09-2003, 10:06 PM

You have to remember that you took this cruise 7 years ago, when the ship was 6 years old. We sailed her 2 years ago, and the mattresses were probably the same as when she first sailed. Same held true for the pillows and the carpeting. I guess it's OK for younger people that haven't experienced anything else, but not for the traveled cruiser. Food is adequate, but nothing to write home about.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:38 AM

I don't go on Carnival expecting it to be like the Four Seasons. I would venture to guess that
most cruise ships do not have $5,000 mattresses
in each cabin like a luxury Hotel would. I mean its a SHIP, not a hotel!!!!

You might be right about the Fantasy ship being more aged now. Regardless, I'm 28 now, and have traveled quite a bit!!! I'm giving the Carnival Triumph a try this July b/c it is hands-down about the best deal you can get on a trip that allows you to visit 3 different caribbean locations. Also, I camp a lot - so I deal w/ rustic conditions with no problem - if its a bed, I am happy (as long as it is clean.)

Closed Thread