Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 09:42 PM

Has anyone been married on a carnival cruise!? Considering this option for next August on the Glory. I have a ton of questions and want to know if anyone has gotten married on one of the ships. If so, do you recommend it? Did you have to get married in the terminal before getting married on the ship? How far in advance did you have to book!? Please, if anyone has any info, even if it's just an experience you've had, let me know! Thanks guys!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:26 PM

Hi adibear620,

I haven't been married on a Carnival cruise. I have seen many that have though, and they always look happy to me. Carnival has a special department for weddings.

Here is a link.

Good luck with this.

Dwayne
Old 07-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Banned

I have not personally wed on a Carnival ship...however I have read many posts and they were all positive....except for the photography.

Be sure to read all the fine print where the pictures are concerned....for some reason that seems to be the only place where "complaints" have arisen...usually over the cost.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I have not personally wed on a Carnival ship...however I have read many posts and they were all positive
I wish i could say the same. There have been some nightmares I'm familliar with as well as satisfied couples. The cost of the programs offered by the lines is not as low as most expect, especially if all someone wants it simple. Then with attempts to do more elaborate, there is always the need for proper planning. They are supposed to help with that planning and coordination process when you go through their wedding planner. Be aware that sometimes, as with any cruise or wedding plans the unexpected can happen. One large wedding I wasn't involved with but am aware of because I know the agent involved well was a disaster. The couple and some of their family took the cruise and planned to meet other family, guests and members of wedding party at the island where they were to be married. Not everyone could take the full time for the cruise and wedding. As the ship neared the port where they were to be married they ran into very high seas from a storm further out to sea and headed their way. The Captain made a last minute decision that it would be unsafe to port and altered the itinerary to a calmer port away from the impending storm. The facilities, flowers, guests, food and family all waiting at a resort in one port and the bride and groom headed away to another.

Just one of many things that can and have gone awry on cruise weddings. Most go smoothly but anytime you're on a ship things can change with ports, weather and other factors. I'm married and don't plan on ever doing it a second time. If I did, I don't think a wedding at sea would be in the cards for me. I love cruising and ships but have, after being in this indusrty for a while come to the conclusion it's less risky and costly do tie the knot on shore at home with friends and family close by.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-28-2008, 09:09 PM

adibear620

What Trvlpro describes is a risk if you should decide to get married in one of the ports of call. Your other option is to get married on the ship at the embarkation port. I have attended marriages that took place on the ship in Miami. The ceremonies were lovely. Island Cruz provided you the link to the wedding department. There are many packages to choose from depending on the number of guests you will invite. Many find the prices reasonable when they compare the cost of everything they would have to pay for back home. It's no hassles, and no clean up, which is appealing to many. The photo packages are comparable to prices you would pay back home also. However; the photographers are in the business to make money and will take more pictures than necessary hoping you will buy more. Just be firm with them on what you want.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:14 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. If I do follow through with this plan the wedding would take place on embarkation day. I know there are risks to being married on a cruise, but I think I would be willing to risk it. I know that doing it on embarkation day would have it's risks also (I've been on a cruise that left 4 hours early because of an incoming hurricane and the port was closing)

Thanks for the link, that is where I originally got the idea and I have spent plenty of time looking around there. However, if there is anyone else that has experienced this, please share your experiences.

What are some of the problems people have been having with photography??
Old 07-29-2008, 07:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by adibear620:
Thanks everyone for your responses. If I do follow through with this plan the wedding would take place on embarkation day. I know there are risks to being married on a cruise, but I think I would be willing to risk it. I know that doing it on embarkation day would have it's risks also (I've been on a cruise that left 4 hours early because of an incoming hurricane and the port was closing)

Thanks for the link, that is where I originally got the idea and I have spent plenty of time looking around there. However, if there is anyone else that has experienced this, please share your experiences.

What are some of the problems people have been having with photography??
I read your original post as wanting to marry on the ship on Embarkation as well and I think that goes very smoothly.

However, as I stated, the cost of the photography has been the only "negative" I have read about.

I have no idea what wedding photography runs now...but for some reason the amount of $2,500.00 comes to mind for these wedding photos.

Again, I have not done this personally...my only caution would be to make sure you fully understand the photo costs and what is included.

I have not read any complaints about the pictures themselves....just the cost and "fine print".
Old 08-08-2008, 02:43 AM

My wife and I paid for my sister-in-laws wedding aboard the Carnival Glory in May 2007.
After comparing it with a formal wedding at home in a church, we saved enough to even pay for the bride and grooms cruise in cat 11.
The wedding dept. was awesome. The only thing the soon to be had to do was send off for a marriage license. We opted for the wedding at Port Canaveral. We brought 32 people from Northwest GA. As far as the photos goes, I did not pay for these, but the bride said they were cheaper than the price they were qouted from a photographer at home. So much so they bought them all. If I had known about this before all three of my childre were married I would have taken this route.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:02 AM

I have been on a few ships where wedding took place. We always tour the ship as soon as we board, They had one of the lounges they were setting up for the wedding and reception. I thought it was beautiful.the wedding party was allowed to board early, everyone looked so excited. We didnt see the wedding, but the wedding party all went on the cruise afterwards but meny of the guest go off before the ship sailed.
Then during the sail away party the wedding party joined us and continued partying. THey were having a blast. The bride said it was like have 2000 people at her reception.
I took pictures of them at the sail away.
If it works for you, I think that is the way to go.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:28 PM

I got married 2 years ago on the Victory and it was fantastic. The only thing that we really had to do is sign paperwork. We got married on the ship in St. thomas and it was beautiful. There was no hassle and everyone on the ship was so great am dthe minister was great. I would recomenedit to anyone. hope all goes weel
leah

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, childre, cruise, duane, married, thomas, througg, wife