Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Banned

How far in advance do you book your cruise? And why do you book when you do?I am curious as to what works best for others.I know what cruise and date I want for next year, so would I be better off booking now or wait for awhile?
Thank in advance for the response. Tom
Old 04-17-2006, 11:52 AM
I like to book 12 - 16 months in advance. This gives me time to save for the balance of the cruise cost and for plane tickets.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:58 AM

We usually book our cruise a year in advance. My main reason is so I know exactly how much I have to squeeze out of my paycheck each month. This year I booked an additional cruise because I was tired of being cold and I found a good price for our Christmas break. This was 7 months ahead. There are advantages and disadvantages to waiting. If the ship is not sold out, they offer some great prices close to the sailing date. The main disadvantage, you may not get the accomodations you want or the cruise can be sold out for a specific sailing date. Also, we have to schedule our vacation time at the beginning of the calendar year, so I need to know in January what I plan on doing. Hope this helps.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:02 PM

I always book 12-15 months in advance also. I like a balcony room directly across the hall from an interior and those are hard to get across from each other if you wait. For our next cruise I booked a cat 11 suite with the 85 ft balcony and the interior across the hall. Almost all those were gone 15 months in advance.
I also like to call in a payment each month. If I book in advance I have it paid for easier and have time to save spending money and book excursions in advance. IMHO that's what we like think is best.
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 04-17-2006, 12:17 PM

Depends on what you are after. Penny and Susan make good points for booking long enough ahead of time to be able to plan for the expense. I have done it that way, I have also booked one cruise the week I returned from one. That was only two months out. So I guess, it depends on if you have a specfic date in mind or you are trying to catch a deal.

As Penny points out, sometimes you can get great deals on "short notice" prices. Short being 2 to 3 months. I have also seen some great prices on "past cruiser" discounts from Carnival. These are typically short notice, but can be as far out as 6 months. If you can vacation with little notice, go the "specials" route and have your vacation planner call you when they are running a special. If you have childern in school (like I do) you may want to book ahead and look for deals. If you can find a good price before the money back cancellation deadline, then you can cancel the booking and change to the deal.

You may need to book ahead for popular cruises like those to Alaska. The good cabins fill up fast on those, we booked our June cruise back in September.

If you live close enough to a cruising port (like I do) then you could also try just showing up at the cruise (packed of course) and seeing if they have any available cabins. During non-peak cruise dates, I have HEARD that you can get a great deal doing this. I have not tried it, but maybe someone else out there has and can inform us if it works or not.

Jim
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 04-17-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by swimmersonboard:
I always book 12-15 months in advance also. I like a balcony room directly across the hall from an interior and those are hard to get across from each other if you wait. For our next cruise I booked a cat 11 suite with the 85 ft balcony and the interior across the hall. Almost all those were gone 15 months in advance.
I also like to call in a payment each month. If I book in advance I have it paid for easier and have time to save spending money and book excursions in advance. IMHO that's what we like think is best.
QUESTION PLEASE.WE ARE NEW CRUISERS. "WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE OF HAVING AN INTERIOR ACROSS THE HALL FROM BALCONY CABIN" PLEASE?
Old 04-17-2006, 01:55 PM

we agree we book our cruise a year in advance it makes it nice to have that time to pay it off and get the room we really want if you want a balcony suite its worth doing it that far out
Old 04-17-2006, 02:13 PM

To "fivepoints" - one good reason to have inside and balcony cabins across the hall from each other is when parents and children are cruising together. The parents get the balcony, the kids the inside cabin, so they have privacy, but also close proximity to each other.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:10 AM
Banned

Thanks to all who answered. This helped me make up my mind as to what I should do.I talked to my personal cruise planner and she said that if the price comes down after I book that Carnival would pass the discount on to me. As many times as it may be reduced. So I geuss I can't beat that.I really find these boards helpful when picking a ship and planning a cruise.Thanks again .Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
advance, book, cabins, carnival, crown, cruise, excursions, fast, long, paid, plan, princess, rccl, shore, time